Filling out forms

A few formalities must be completed in order to organize your stay in and travel to Bremen. These requirements must be taken care of before or within the first few weeks of your arrival.

On the following pages, the Welcome Centre offers assistance with your first orientation on these formalities during your stay in Germany.

Visa and Entry

Information is provided here if you need an entry visa. You may only apply for a valid visa at a German embassy or consulate in your home country, prior to travel.

Registration in Bremen and Germany

Everyone who moves into a house or flat in Germany is obliged to register their address. Furthermore, you must apply for a residence permit at the local “Ausländerbehörde” (Immigration or Foreigners’ Office) before your entry visa expires. More

Health insurance

In Germany, health insurance is mandatory for all researchers and accompanying family members. Find out more about types of German health insurances and how to apply. More

Private liability insurance

Besides health insurance, we recommend you apply for a private liability insurance. More

Pension Scheme

Here you will find information on the German pension scheme. More

Bank account

If you are staying in Germany for an extended period of time, are receiving a regular salary or fellowship and have to pay rent, it is a good idea to open a bank account as soon as possible. More