Useful Information


© Universität Bremen

There are a variety of funding opportunities available for international researchers. In general, international academics fund their stays through either the conclusion of an employment contract, a scholarship, or their own means.

Employment contracts and remuneration

Numerous scientists conclude an employment contract with the institute they are working for. In Bremen, academic staff are paid according to a collective pay agreement known as Tarifvertrag für den öffentlichen Dienst der Länder (TV-L). The agreement includes different salary groups depending on qualifications (E1-E15) and different pay grade levels depending on work experience. All contracts include information on the salary scale and other conditions of employment. The most common salary scale for researchers and scientists is "TV-L E13". Here is an overview on the average gross income. All levels are subject to regular collective negotiations.

In general, employees are required to pay tax and social security contributions. Net income is determined by tax class and family situation and may vary substantially. Additionally, parents have a right to child benefits which can amount to up to € 200 per child per month. For more information, please contact the Welcome Centre or the FinancingHuman Resources Department.

Before you can officially start working, an employment contract must be signed. The personnel department will tell you in advance which forms and documents have to be submitted in order to draw up the contract.

Working with a scholarship

Many research and funding organisations offer excellent funding opportunities and ideal conditions for foreign scientists in all fields.

The website Research in Germany provides an overview of German funding organisation. The EURAXESS Funding Database is also a good source for funding opportunities.