Finances & Study Grants

Financing of Studies

In order to obtain a student visa you must provide evidence of sufficient funds to finance a one-year stay in Germany. Currently this is calculated to be 7,908 Euro (status 23.7.2013). This is also the case when you want to apply for a prolongation of stay.

Shorter stays require the availability of correspondingly lower amounts.

More details can be obtained from:

Study Grants

You can search the Scholarship Database of the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) for the right type of support for your study or research stay. In addition to the DAAD programs, there you will also find references to a number of other funding organizations.


Germany Scholarship Brochure

Information for UB Students


is a non-profit association founded to provide assistance to students from abroad who through no fault of their own find themselves in some kind of difficulty. Xenos is able to provide material assistance to help with the costs of, e.g. rent or health insurance, for a maximum of a couple of months. Applications are scrutinized thoroughly and applicants are expected to display a considerable amount of own initiative.
Applications for Xenos assistance must be passed through the International Office.

Assistance for International Students in Financial need

International students who find themselves in acute material circumstances can apply for financial assistance on a “one-time, last-time” principle.

Fill in and send this e-mail to the International Office:

  • Last name, first name
  • Nationality
  • Course of study you are enrolled in
  • Number of semesters already studied
  • Degree you are studying for
  • Date you expect your studies will be completed by
  • Short description of the difficulties you are facing

The International Office will then get back to you.