We will be pleased to offer you advice on all matters surrounding the PhD process or put you in touch with the right contact persons. Here are some of the questions you might have which we can help you with:

  • "I want to get a PhD: Where do I start?" – Information on the PhD process

  • "How can I finance my doctoral studies?" – Information on funding options

  • "Is it possible to combine work and doctoral studies?" – Aspects of part-time doctoral studies

  • "How and when must I apply to become a PhD student?" – Information on enrolment and the regulations governing doctoral studies

  • "I want to carry out my research project abroad, but take the examination in Bremen." – Binational PhD (Co-Tutelle)

  • "How can I get more contact with other PhD students?" – Networking for doctoral students

  • "At which point in the PhD process should I start to think about what comes next? How can I prepare myself?" – Questions surrounding career planning

  • "I have a different sort of problem. Who can I go to for help?" – other service providers at the University of Bremen

If you would like to have a personal talk, please contact Frau Voet (phone 0421-218-60328, e-mail Before we can arrange a meeting we would first like you to answer a few questions.

Advice for female PhD students in the Humanities and Social Sciences

The University of Bremen takes the advancement of young women researchers seriously. Within the context of the project "Perspektive Promotion", the Bureau for Equal Opportunity offers advice and support for women who are either just interested or already enrolled as doctoral students in the Humanities and the Social Sciences. To arrange a meeting for individual persons or small groups, please contact Dr. Silke Betscher or Claudia Czycholl by phone: 218-60185 or by e-mail:

Additional advisory services at the University of Bremen

Counselling Service for the employees
The Counselling Service for the employees of the University of Bremen is responsible for employees of the University (doctoral students with salaried positions). The bureau offers advice on personal, psychological or health issues is free of charge and red-tape, and provides support on issues concerning  work capability and the work environment (e.g. burn-out, problems with relationships or following separation, conflicts with coworkers and with supervisors). The person to contact is Dipl.-Psychologin Kassandra Ruhm. You will find the University’s Social Advisory Bureau in building GW2, room B3740.

Psychological Therapeutic Advisory Bureau (ptb)
The Psychological Therapeutic Advisory Bureau (ptb) run by the Studentenwerk Bremen is also there for enrolled doctoral students. The ptb offers assistance with matters concerning the PhD process as well as in personal issues, e.g. difficulties in the relationship with partners, or anxiety concerning careers and future prospects. The bureau provides confidential consultation, advice and therapeutic accompaniment. You will find the ptb in the central campus area by the Mensasee and on the web at Psychological Therapeutic Advisory Bureau (ptb)

Advice on job applications and career starts in international context
The Career Center of the University of Bremen provides advice on career orientation as well as job applications and career starts abroad or in an international context (including application strategies and portfolio check). You can obtain more information and contact details from Herr Thomas Obieglo of the Career Center here.