With the Institutional Strategy, the University of Bremen has established the Excellence Initiative Board to utilize external expertise. The board's mission is to monitor and provide advice with regards to the implementation of the Institutional Strategy and questions regarding the university’s research strategy.
The Excellence Initiative Board is comprised of members of the university leadership as well as deans and leaders of collaborative research projects and especially eight international experts in research and higher education management have agreed to serve as external members of the board. The board typically meets once a year; its first meeting took place in January 2014.
- Anton Hemerijck, economist, dean of the Faculty of Social Sciences, VU University Amsterdam
- Matthias Kleiner, mechanical engineer, designated President of the Leibniz Society
- Maresi Nerad, educationalist, Director of the Center for Innovation and Research in Graduate Education (CIRGE), University of Washington, Seattle
- Colin Riordan, specialist in German studies, President and Vice-Chancellor of Cardiff University
- Joachim Treusch, theoretical physicist, President Emeritus of Jacobs University Bremen
- Janet Walden, environmental chemist, COO of the Natural Sciences and Engineering Council of Canada (NSERC)
- Jürgen Zöllner, physician-scientist, former Minister of Education of Rhineland-Palatinate and Berlin
- Frans Zwarts, linguist, former Rector magnificus (academic president) of the University of Groningen