With the Institutional Strategy, the University of Bremen has established the Excellence Initiative Board to utilize external expertise. The board's mission is to monitor and provide advice with regards to the implementation of the Institutional Strategy.
The Excellence Initiative Board comprises of members of the university leadership as well as deans and leaders of collaborative research projects as internal members. Eight international experts in research and higher education management have been appointed as external members of the board. The board typically meets once a year.
- Anton Hemerijck, economist, professor at the European University Institute, former dean of the Faculty of Social Sciences, VU Amsterdam
- Matthias Kleiner, mechanical engineer, President of the Leibniz Association
- Maresi Nerad, educationalist, Director of the Center for Innovation and Research in Graduate Education (CIRGE), University of Washington, Seattle
- Colin Riordan, specialist in German studies, President and Vice-Chancellor of Cardiff University
- Joachim Treusch, theoretical physicist, President Emeritus of Jacobs University Bremen
- Janet Walden, environmental chemist, former COO of the Natural Sciences and Engineering Council of Canada (NSERC)
- Jürgen Zöllner, physician-scientist, former Minister of Education of Rhineland-Palatinate and Berlin
- Frans Zwarts, linguist, former Rector magnificus (academic president) of the University of Groningen