Female international scientists contribute greatly to the diversity of the academic landscape. While imparting new knowledge, methods, learning and teaching styles, they develop role-models for next generations. Returning back home one day, they are able to establish excellent research capacities and foster long-lasting collaborations to benefit science.
Intensive research and teaching, collaborating with international partners from different disciplines, a vivid, flexible and cross-cultural working environment are important motivations for a rewarding career. At the same time, working in a foreign academic system like the German one leads to many challenges. Different role-expectations, intercultural relations, understanding of career perspectives and structural differences in the higher education system mean additional difficulties. Expectations of international mobility while reconciling job and family increase demands of pursuing an international career in scientific environments.
navigare focuses on challenges and informal obstacles that especially women in international working environments might face. With a group of peers, the participants will learn coping strategies to actively develop their own career in the international science context. During the one-year programme, they will have the opportunity to build the basis for a strong network for mutual exchange and support.
If necessary due to covid-19 restrictions, all seminars can be offered online.
Dr. Christine Issa is advisor, trainer, coach (DGfC) and partner of SAMINWORLD in Düsseldorf. She has a long-standing working experience in industry and cross-cultural project management in science.
To participate in the navigare programme, we ask of you the following:
- the commitment to develop your career in science,
- sufficient resources of time and binding participation,
- a strong interest in reflecting gender biases in science.
Upon completion of the programme you will receive a certificate, provided you have attended at least 75% of the seminars.
The next navigare program will start on February 11th 2021 with a half-day kick-off workshop.
- Clarify if the costs for the program can be covered in your case by contacting Dr. Hanna Lührs (MAPEX, email@example.com) or Dr. Christina Klose (MARUM, firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Apply for participation in the half-day kick-off workshop via the MAPEX or MARUM website until February 1st 2021.
- Attend the half-day kick-off workshop on February 11th 2021 to learn more about the aims and topics addressed in the navigare program. You will have the chance to meet the trainer as well as the other participants.
- Decide until February 22nd 2021 whether you want to participate. For the final and binding enrolment, please contact Dipl.-Psych. Susanne Abeld (email@example.com).