1 x 1,0 Instrument Manager (f/m/d)
Within the programme ‘MAPEX Core Facility for Materials Analytics’ funded by the Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft (DFG), the MAPEX Center for Materials and Processes is offering - under the condition of job release – a position for an
Instrument Manager (f/m/d)
at the full TV-L 14 payscale
starting at the earliest possible date.
The position will initially be limited to three years.
If successful, the candidate will take over the managing responsibility of the programme, which aims at establishing a central university core facility (MAPEX-CF) encompassing the following five materials analytics areas: (1) Electron microscopy; (2) 3D materials analytics; (3) Surface analytics; (4) X-ray diffraction; (5) Spectroscopy.
The instrument manager will work closely together with the science manager of the MAPEX Center for Materials and Processes and directly report to the scientific coordinator as well as to the executive board of MAPEX-CF.
Tasks include, but are not limited to:
- to contribute to the infrastructural and scientific strategic development of the core facility, supporting the executive board in the establishing and executing business and investment plans, in particular for purchases of new equipment;
- to support the application scientists in the five materials analytics areas, enabling instrumental and methodological development, especially in the field of in-situ/real-time analytics, high-throughput screening, as well as with the establishment of correlated workflows between different instruments;
- to promote and support the development of science-exchange programmes and activities with similar facilities in Germany, Europe and worldwide.
- to supervise the daily operation and maintenance of the instruments in collaboration with the application scientists in each material analytics area;
- to establish general and instrument-specific user rules including regulations of access and prices for the usage of instruments;
- to develop a comprehensive data management plan for the core facility;
- to establish and operate a web-based portal for the instrument access and monitoring, including the accounting of usage time;
- to organize methodological workshops and seminars, and supervise the knowledge-transfer and PR activities of MAPEX-CF;
Required skills and experience comprise
- a completed PhD in a field relevant to the research areas of the core facility;
- research experience at the postdoctoral level, documented by a solid publication record and, ideally, the acquisition of third-party funding;
- deep and documented methodological expertise in materials analytics, in at least one and preferably several of the MAPEX-CF research areas
- intrinsic motivation, keen research interest and strategic thinking capabilities;
- strong drive to work in a large and interdisciplinary environment;
- excellent cooperation and communication skills and managerial ability;
- excellent written and spoken English and German language skills;
- international research experience;
- experience in proposing and working within publicly-funded research projects, both nationally and at the EU level;
- an excellent research environment and high-end laboratory facilities across the entire MAPEX research landscape;
- ideal conditions for the own further scientific qualification and professional skill development;
- great flexibility and freedom within timely and ambitious research activities;
- a well-established platform for the scientific exchange and interdisciplinary cooperation within the MAPEX consortium;
- an environment characterised by equal opportunity, diversity, and family friendliness according to highest international standards.
As the University of Bremen intends to increase the proportion of female employees in science, women are particularly encouraged to apply.
In case of equal personal aptitudes and qualification, priority will be given to handicapped applicants.
The University of Bremen expressly invites persons with migration background to apply.
The employment is fixed-term and governed by the Act of Academic Fixed-Term Contract (Wissenschaftszeitvertragsgesetz – WissZeitVG). Therefore, candidates may only be considered for appointment if they still have the respective qualification periods available in accordance with § 2 (1) WissZeitVG.
The application is open until the 30th of April 2020.
Please send your application with the reference number A31/20 including
- a motivation letter, in which you make clear why your research and methodological background fits to the advertised position;
- your curriculum vitae;
- your complete list of publications;
- a statement with your plans regarding management and method development at the MAPEX-CF (maximum two pages)
Prof. Dr.-Ing. Lucio Colombi Ciacchi
MAPEX Center for Materials and Processes
University of Bremen
Am Fallturm 1
or by E-mail as one single pdf document to: colombiprotect me ?!hmi.uni-bremenprotect me ?!.de
Erstellt am 28.02.20 von Alexandra Gutherz