Postdoctoral / Research Associate
MARUM - Center for Marine Environmental Sciences Marine
Environmental Technologies/Deep-Sea Engineering Group
The research group for environmental observing technologies and
deep-sea engineer-ing is offering - under the condition of job release-
a Postdoctoral/Research Associate position currently limited to 3 years
at the full TV-L 13 payscale in the general area of underwater robotics
The research focus for this position lies in the development of intelligent
systems for unmanned deep-sea ocean observations.
The employment is fixed-term and governed by the Act of Academic Fixed-Term
Con-tract, §2 I (Wissenschaftszeitvertragsgesetz – WissZeitVG).
Therefore, candidates may only be considered for appointment if they still
have the respective qualification periods available in accordance with § 2
The position (TV-L13) will initially be limited to three years starting as
soon as possible. The position is part of the newly established Center of
Innovation for Deep-Sea Envi-ronmental Monitoring at the MARUM, University
of Bremen, Germany. Our research group in particular, is focusing on research
for sustainable and persistent deep-sea observation technologies and
methodologies; spanning the broad field of marine robot-ic systems,
including design, navigation, control and sensing for individual systems
as well as for networks of systems, autonomous and remotely operated.
Tasks include but are not limited to:
- Independent execution of research in the Marine Environmental
Technologies / Deep-Sea Engineering Group
- Active support in teaching and advising of students in computer sci-ence/
mathematics and systems engineering
- Active support in proposal writing process to apply for third party funding
- Conduct and accompany research projects in cooperation with internal
and external research partners
- Publication of research in leading scientific/technical journals and
In particular we are interested in applicants that have a strong background
and track record in one or several of the following research areas:
artificial Intelligence, machine vision, underwater communication,
sensing, navigation and control. The applicant should work well in a
multi-disciplinary team and have a keen interest to collaborate with
marine scientists on a broad range of research questions. The successful
candi-date is expected to participate in multi-week open ocean research cruises.
The candidate must have:
- a Ph.D. degree (or equivalent) in one of the following fields Computer
Science, Robotics, Physics, Electrical Engineeringor a related discipline
– the PhD should have been completed within the last 5 years at most
- demonstrated the ability to apply theoretical results towards physical systems
- must be fluent in English (written and spoken) with a demonstrated competence
in scientific writing. German is a plus but not a requirement
- Extensive programming experience in C/C++, Python and Matlab
- A solid publication track record in peer-reviewed journals and conferences
- The candidate must be willing and able to go to sea extensively and work in the field.
Applications should include a CV, a sample of the candidate’s writing
ability, a state-ment describing research interests, the applicant’s
research and technical background as they relate to the position,
and contact information for 3 referees.
As the University of Bremen intends to increase the proportion of
in science, women are particularly encouraged to apply.
In case of equal personal aptitudes and qualification priority will
be given to handi-capped applicants.
The University of Bremen expressly invites persons with migration
background to apply.
Deadline for the application is 01.03.2019. Applications and enquiries should
be with the reference number A30/19
Prof. Ralf Bachmayer
University of Bremen
Or by email mszrejterprotect me ?!marumprotect me ?!.de
Tel +49 (0)421-218-65890