Once both supervisors at the two institutions are on board, the cotutelle agreement can be prepared. Details that have to be considered are
- Topic of thesis/research objective
- The research institutions/units at which the doctoral student will carry out her/his work
- Total length of doctoral studies and period of stay(s) at each institution
- Supervision, academic integration
- Language of thesis
- Place and language of defense and composition of doctoral committee/examination board.
The Rechtsstelle (Legal Office, Department 06) of the University of Bremen has drawn up an agreement template [DOC; 50 KB]. It is not mandatory to use this agreement and it may be amended to suit the respective circumstances of partner universities. One can also use an agreement provided by the partner university. In such an event, however, the agreement must be submitted to the Rechtsstelle of the University of Bremen for approval before it can be concluded.
The University of Bremen requires the agreement to include the following:
- A minimum period of stay of one year at each of the partner universities
- An equal division of examination requirements (language of examination and language of publication, as well as summaries in each language involved)
- A recommendation for matriculation including a waiver of administrative costs
- A commitment to acceptance for doctoral studies
The agreement is signed by the two supervisors, the executive board of the two universities, the doctoral candidate, and the chairperson of the doctoral committee in Bremen.
If the wording of Bremen University's agreement template is not amended, the two supervisors, the doctoral candidate, the chairperson of the doctoral commission and the management of the partner university are to sign the agreement in person (in four copies) and submit these to the Rechtsstelle of the University of Bremen for subsequent signature on the part of the University President.
If the wording of the agreement template is amended, or an agreement template is supplied by the partner university, the agreement is to be submitted to the University's Rechtsstelle for approval first. The Rechtsstelle submits the agreement to the University President for signature and subsequently returns the agreement to the doctoral candidate and the faculty. One original is retained by the Legal Office; one is sent to the partner university.