We are here to support you!
It’s not so easy to initiate and maintain a partnership or cooperation projects without financial support.
Below you will find a list of the most important funding options. The contact persons in the International Office will be happy to answer your questions and provide advice on these and many other funding programs.
Information on basic research funding can be found at Research under: Support for Researchers.
Internationality has been one of the guiding principles of the University of Bremen since its foundation in 1971 and today, it has visibility and a network throughout the whole world. The University of Bremen strives to offer diverse internationally-oriented study programs with a global perspective to students and ideal conditions for excellent research and teaching to researchers from around the world.
In order to allow the University's researchers to initiate larger projects in accordance with the Internationalization Strategy, additional funds are made available annually by the Rectorate through an internationalization fund.
Calls for proposals are issued at the end of the previous year for the entire following year. Depending on the budget situation, a second call for proposals is issued in the summer semester. Applications for any remaining funds can be submitted throughout the year.
Applications must pursue the following objectives:
- Be directed towards setting a new impulse for longer-term internationalization projects in fields of teaching or research ,
- Initiate and sustain partnerships,
- Follow the strategically defined goals and measures, and correspond to the objectives of the internationalisation strategy.
Here you can find the current call for proposals.
Here you will find information and links to the most important DAAD programmes for the funding of cooperation projects. These and many more can be found at https://www.daad.de/en/information-services-for-higher-education-institutions/
- Funding for participation in congresses and lectures
- Project-related personal partnerships (PPP): Funding for mobility within the framework of existing research funding
- Funding for projects in the field of university management and institution building: These include the subject-related partnerships and the DIES programme (structural development at universities).
- Funding for Summer Schools in Germany
- Funding for Summer Schools abroad
1. The Erasmus Mundus programme aims to enhance the quality of higher education and to promote intercultural understanding through cooperation with third countries. The Erasmus Mundus programme may support, inter alia, joint master’s courses involving at least three European partners. There are three funding lines.
- Action 1: Joint masters and doctoral programmes, including scholarships
Consortia composed of at least three different European and optional non-European higher education institutions offering a joint master's or doctoral programme may apply for the "Erasmus Mundus label". This involves the award of scholarships to highly qualified third country and European participants selected for these programmes.
- Action 2: External Cooperation Window
Funding is available for cooperation between higher education institutions from Europe and certain third countries. The objective of the cooperation is to establish structured cooperation through the award of full and partial scholarships to European and non-European nationals at bachelor, master, doctoral and post-doctoral level, academics and other higher education professionals. Detailed information on the third countries eligible can be found in the annual call.
- Action 3: Projects enhancing the attractiveness of European Higher Education
Consortia are eligible for funding if they include organisations from at least three different European countries and may also include organisations from third countries. Support may be provided for activities aimed at enhancing the attractiveness, profile and visibility of, and access to, European higher education. Projects relating to the international dimension of quality assurance, curriculum development, mobility and recognition of credits and qualifications are also eligible for support under Action 3.
Further information can also be found at http://eacea.ec.europa.eu/erasmus_mundus/index_en.php
2. The German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) promotes the establishment of joint study programmes with double and joint degrees, as part of the double degree programme
3. The Deutsch-Französische Hochschule supports integrated study programmes of German and French partners. Two or more equivalent degrees can be awarded. Current announcements can be found at https://www.dfh-ufa.org/informationen-fuer/hochschulen/ausschreibungen
4. The DAAD programme "ISAP - International Study and Training Partnerships" promotes student and lecturer mobility in coordinated curricula without joint degrees: https://www.daad.de/en/information-services-for-higher-education-institutions/further-information-on-daad-programmes/isap/
5. The "Unibral" programme is available for partnerships with Brazilian universities
6. The Bachelor Plus programme supports the establishment of four-year Bachelor programmes with an integrated year abroad: daad.de/go/pf57317077
Phone: +49 421 218-60362
Guest researchers at the University of Bremen
In October 2011, the University of Bremen has established a Welcome Center for international scientists planning a stay at the University of Bremen. The Welcome Center provides direct advice and support to international guest researchers before, during and after their stay in Bremen, as well as support for host institutes.
Supervisors from the University of Bremen's departments register their guests at the Welcome Center (Registration), so that we can contact them in good time to ensure optimal service.
Phone: +49 421 218-60382
The Alexander von Humboldt Foundation promotes academic cooperation between excellent foreign and German researchers. With EURAXESS, the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation has created a central National Coordination Point where international researchers can find general information and advice in one portal.