What are Research-Based Studies?
Research-based studies build on research-based teaching and take the concept a step further. Students do not only participate in teachers' research as a passive audience, but take an active part within the framework of their study and examination credits. Due to the increasing importance of research-based studies, projects promoting them throughout the University have been funded by the Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF) within the framework of the “Teaching Quality Pact” programme of the Federal and Länder governments for the last few years. The Faculty of Law has already successfully implemented several projects. These are to be consolidated within the framework of ForstAIntegriert up to 1st January 2021, i.e. successful measures are to be permanently established and complemented by additional offers.
- development and quality assurance of measures promoting studying through research
- coordination of quality-assuring ForstA project measures and existing quality management of the Faculty of Law
- extension and coordination of the key qualifications
- development of a faculty concept for studying through research
- cooperation and coordination of the entire ForstA process at the Faculty of Law
The following measure packages are implemented:
- MP 1: Uni start (facilitating entry to studies and identification with the subject matter)
- MP 3: Profile sharpening of General Studies (funding of teaching assignments for profile-building subjects within the field of key qualifications)
- MP 4: Student learning formats (student coaches and innovative measures for research-base learning)
At the Faculty of Law, work is focussed on:
- the development and quality assurance of measures promoting research-based studies
- linking of quality-assuring ForstA project measures with existing quality management at the Faculty
- development and coordination of key qualifications
- development of a Writing Centre at the Faculty
- organisation of a September Academy
Lisa Lüdders and Tobias Pinkel are the contact persons for the realisation of teaching projects related to Research-Based Studies as well as all questions concerning quality assurance in teaching. Lisa Lüdders has already gained some experience as regards research-based studies, e.g. as Coordinator of a ForstA project in the field of psychology until 31.12.2016. Tobias Pinkel has already carried out several projects involving students in research at the Faculty of Law.
All students and lecturers are expressly invited to contact Lisa Lüdders or Tobias Pinkel, if they have any questions or suggestions related to these subjects.
Extract of the information on ForstA on the Universitäts-Homepage (12.04.2017):
“With the project ForstA, the University intends to implement improvements of the entire cycles of studies, beginning with the transition from school to university or work to university. The objective of the measures is an improvement of the content and didactics of teaching, the quality of studies and the competences of students. An understanding of the disciplinary core of the subject is to be acquired at an early stage, during the introductory phase of studies. The teaching of key competences will be reinforced and the final phase of studies is to be accompanied by research and writing workshops. The heterogeneity of students will not only be taken into account but taken advantage of as a valuable resource of the university.”