MAPEX PhD Research Grant - outgoing
The MAPEX Center for Materials and Processes invites PhD students of MAPEX members to apply for short-term research grants to spend a limited period of time (one week to one month) at an international research institution. Outgoing doctoral students can receive travel and subsistence support for activities that clearly contribute to an added value of their PhD research, such as additional experiments, instrumental training, interdisciplinary projects and cooperation, or networking in the respective scientific community.
The grants are eligible to PhD students (and master students close to graduation) supervised by a MAPEX Principal Investigator or Early Career Investigator. The host institution should be located outside of Germany.
Funding is available for activities lasting between 1 week (minimum) and 1 month (maximum).
The grants include:
(1) a contribution to the travel costs up to maximum rates set in accordance to the DAAD “Reisekostenpauschalen”;
(2) a country specific flat-rate allowance for subsistence expenses in accordance with the DAAD ipid4all “Aufenthaltspauschalen”
The sum of (1) and (2) will be limited to a maximum of 2000 € in all cases.
After their research stay the candidates must provide a short written report (1 to 2 A4 pages) to the MAPEX Center for Materials and Processes.
Applications need to be submitted in electronic form (see below) to the MAPEX executive committee, represented by its science manager, Dr. Hanna Lührs, no later than one monthbefore the envisaged start of the research stay.
A commission appointed by the MAPEX executive committee will decide whether to fund the proposal or not, depending on the scientific qualification of the candidate, the quality of the proposed project and availability of funding. It is expected that 4 proposals can be funded in 2019.
All proposals fulfilling the formal requirements are considered for funding. If the number of submitted proposals exceeds the available financial resources, funding is granted via a random selection process (by lot). Precedence is given to PhD candidates whose supervisor has not yet benefitted from an outgoing MAPEX Research Grant for members of her/his group.
The result of the proposal assessment and the amount of granted funds will be communicated to the applicant and the MAPEX hosting group within three weeks from the receipt of the proposal.
Please create a single PDF document comprising the following documents:
- Text of the proposal following the guideline and not exceeding two A4 pages
- Proof that you are actively pursuing a PhD (MSc) at the University of Bremen.
- Curriculum Vitae including a list of publications and conference contributions.
- Letter of recommendation of your PhD (MSc)supervisor.
- Letter of recommendation of the host, including a statement confirming that the facilities as well as the workspace needed to realize the proposed project will be available from the start and for the entire period of the envisaged stay.
- A signed declaration that
- The candidate agrees to adhere to the standard rules of good scientific practice, as set for instance by the Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft.
- In case of publication of results obtained during the research stay, funding through the MAPEX PhD research grant will be explicitly acknowledged.
Only those applications which comply with the formal rules will be considered for funding.
Complete applications need to be submitted per email to:
Dr. Hanna Lührs
Proposals can be submitted any time.