Skip to main content

Health Insurance

As a researcher in Germany, you are required by law to have health insurance coverage for yourself and any accompanying family members (more information in 40 languages). You will be required to provide proof of insurance coverage when you apply to obtain a residence permit and enter into an employment contract. The minimum insurance policy requirement is that you at least have critical illness and accident coverage.

The two types of health insurance coverage in Germany are the statutory health insurance and the private health insurance:

  • If you fund your stay in Germany independently or by means of a fellowship, you are required by law take out private medical insurance.
  • If you have signed an employment contract, you are required by law to take out German statutory health insurance.

The following exceptions apply to the mandatory health insurance rule: 

  • EU citizens
  • Your stay in Germany is scheduled to last no longer than 3 months and your home country health insurance covers medical costs in the amount of at least 30.000 euros.
  • You are a citizen of a country which Germany has a social security agreement with (please ask the Welcome Center for more information).

First Aid: an Illustrated Health Dictionary

Information brochure for foreign students in Germany by Deutsches Studentenwerk.


Julia Holz

SFG 0330
Tel: +49-421-218-60381
julia.holzprotect me ?!vw.uni-bremenprotect me ?!.de


Further Information


Find a Doctor

Private Health Insurance Providers

DAAD Insurances

DeGiS (Care Concept)
For students and researchers under the age of 34

No age limit

Travel insurances

We only recommend these insurances as travel insurances for the visa application.

Deutsches Studentenwerk/VELA Optimal


Care Concept AG

educare 24