Skip to main content

Registration in Bremen

Residents' Registration Office (Einwohnermeldeamt)

Upon moving to Germany and getting a residential address, you are required by law to register with the local authorities within the first week. The registration is done at the Residents' Registration Office (Einwohnermeldeamt) serving your area. Among others, there is an office (bsu) on the campus of the University of Bremen. Please note that all accompanying family members need to register as well.

Form online (in German only)

The Welcome Center can assist you with filling out this form.

To register your residence, you will need your passport and proof of address. Once you receive your proof of registration (Meldebescheinigung), make sure to keep it safe and have it at hand. You will need to show this document every time you are asked for proof of address, e.g. when applying for a library card. 

If you move and change your address during your stay in Germany, you will need to notify the Residents' Registration Office of your new place of residence in Germany. Before you leave the country, you will have to inform them of your departure at least two weeks in advance. Please keep in mind that these offices serve a large number of people daily which may lead to long waiting times. 

BSU (Campus Registration Office) on the map


Janna Wilbers

SFG 0330
Tel: +49-421-218-60382
janna.wilbersprotect me ?!uni-bremenprotect me ?!.de


Bürgeramt Bremen/ Registration Office

On Campus (Zentralbereich):
bremen_service universität

Tel: 0421/218-61026
Email: bsuprotect me ?!uni-bremenprotect me ?!.de

Office Hours: 

Tue 9 a.m. -1 p.m. 
Wed 10 a.m. - 1 p.m. and 2 p.m. -4 p.m.
Thu 9 a.m. -1 p.m.