Skip to content

Applications from Bildungsausländer

Young people in a seminar room.
On a whiteboard is written "welcome" in German.
Young people sit in rows of chairs.
A person has some documents lying on her knees.

Bildungsausländer are applicants,

  • who have no EU, EEA (Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway) or Swiss citizenship, and
  • whose educational certificates or university entrance qualifications do not come from Germany.


Office for Student Affairs
VWG Building, Ground floor
Office hours: Mon, Tue, Thu 9 a.m. - 12 p.m, Wed 2 p.m. - 4 p.m.
Telephone inquiries please outside the opening hours
+49 (0)421 218-61110
applyprotect me ?!uni-bremenprotect me ?!.de

Please note!

Technical modifications at uni-assist and at the University of Bremen have led to the following changes:

- In the period from October 1st to October 26th, 2019, it will not be possible to submit applications via uni-assist!

- Applicants for preparatory studies in the winter semester 2019/20 can still send their application to uni-assist until September 30th.

- From October 26th, 2019,  all applicants* will be able to apply for a VPD (preliminary examination documentation) at uni-assist via the new portal "Mya" (My assist) and a subsequent application via the new portal "moin" (my online information network) at the University of Bremen.

Application for an undergraduate degree

Bildungsausländer must apply for an undergraduate degree (Bachelor, First Law Examination / State Examination) at uni-assist, where their documents and language certificates are checked. The certificate evaluation and examination of the application documents is subject to a charge (75 euro for the first university, 30 euro for each additional one). Applications are only possible online at Applicants who have completed a program of preparatory studies should contact the Student Office directly

Following application, we will check whether you are allowed to study with your educational certificates at the University of Bremen. The evaluationproposals for foreign educational certificates, according to which the University of Bremen rates certificates from abroad, can be found at

For the bachelor programs Business Administration and Economics, Bildungsausländer must evidence successful participation in the “Test for Foreign Students” TestAS. Information about TestAS under

To prepare students for their studies, the University of Bremen offers applicants a program of preparatory studies.

Applications for Masters programs

For master's degree programs, international students so have to apply directly to the University of Bremen. Information on applications and deadlines, prerequisites and the application process can be found on the master application pages.


A student at the laptop.

Preparatory Studies Assessment Examination

Bildungsausländer, who have passed an assessment examination in the frame of preparatory studies acquire a subject-related university entrance qualification. To apply, contact the Office for Student Affairs directly.