Skip to content

Freemover – Visiting Students at the University of Bremen

Self-organized Stays

You are cordially invited to spend one or two semesters as a guest student at the University of Bremen. Before that, though, if you are not from an EU country you have to do a little paperwork, like applying for a student visa, for instance.

Your application to study at the University of Bremen must be accompanied by the following documents:

  • Completed application for enrollment at the University of Bremen
  • Proof of being enrolled at your home university. The proof must be valid for the time you want to study at the University of Bremen.
  • A certificate from your home university that a study stay abroad is recommended as part of your degree program (letter of recommendation).
  • Proof of sufficient knowledge of German (at least level B2) or an exemption.
  • Confirmation from the Faculty of the University of Bremen to which you will belong as part of the visiting student program.
  • Proof of a statutory health insurance (owing to the specific health-care system in Germany, this should be done here in Bremen). For EU citizens, EU insurance can be accepted. Citizens from outside the EU must provide evidence for having statutory health insurance.


Office for Student Affairs

VWG Building
Ground floor

Opening hours:
Mon, Tues, Thurs 9 a.m. - 12 p.m., Wed 2 p.m. - 4 p.m.
Phone: + 49 421 218-61002


International Office

Claudia Pellegrino
Phone: +49-421-218-60365
claudia.pellegrinoprotect me ?!vw.uni-bremenprotect me ?!.de

Your application should be sent with the above-mentioned documents by surface mail or handed in directly to the Office for International Students at the University of Bremen by March 31 (summer semester) or by September 30 (winter semester).

If you need a student visa, please bear in mind that German embassies may need some time to issue your visa. We therefore recommend that you apply as early as possible. Information on the visa and other formalities can be found under: “Formalities for international students”.


General Information
in the Consultation and Service Office
of the International Office:
Building VWG, room 0580,
Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays:
9 p.m. – 12 p.m.,
2 p.m. – 4 p.m.