Skip to main content

Preparation Studies

  • Two students working at a laptop.

    You want to study at the University of Bremen, have a direct university entrance qualification (HZB), but you haven’t got a C1 language level in German yet? Then preparation studies is right for you!

What is Preparation Studies?

Preparation studies helps preparing you in the best possible way for your undergraduate studies at Uni Bremen. While learning German at a private language school in Bremen, you are already enrolled as a preparation student for up to 4 semesters. As a preparation student, you can apply for a student visa.

Why you should become a Preparation Student in Bremen

  • Classes at the undergraduate level are predominantly offered in German. An excellent proficiency at German (level C1 or higher) is required to successfully participate in class. Find out more about accepted C1 certificates here. Preparation Studies is designed to help you achieve the C1 level in German. Learn German in Bremen – you will learn the language much faster and better than in your home country! Sign up with a private language school and take an intensive German course for €400-600 per month (prices vary, please inquire directly at the language schools).

  • While learning German, you are enrolled as a Preparation Student. Use your student ID for free public transportation in Bremen (and most parts of Niedersachsen) and to visit the university’s library or the Self Learning Center. You can also apply for on-campus housing in a student dorm. Get a student discount when eating at the cafeteria, when signing up to play a sport or when attending cultural events anywhere in Bremen.

  • Go to classes even though you can not yet earn any credit points (CP). Find out if your chosen major is the right path for you – you can still change it over the course of your Preparation Studies. In any case, you must apply for the degree program following the preparatory course.

  • Get in touch with professors and other students. Start building your network and find new friends via programs like Kompass!

Contact International Office

Katrin Dorow
Tel.: +49-421-218-60383

Ann-Christin Giesenhagen

VWG, Room 0580
Mon. Tue. and Thu.: 9 a.m. - 12 p.m.
Wednesday: 2 p.m. - 4 p.m.

How do I apply for Preparation Studies?

  1. EU citizens and applicants with a German high school diploma apply directly via the university's moin-portal. All other applicants apply for a preliminary review documentation (German: Vorprüfungsdokumentation VPD) at uni-assist for a study subject of the University of Bremen.
    In the pre-examination documentation (VPD), uni-assist determines whether your previous education is recognized as a higher education entrance qualification for studying in Germany or the desired study program and with what grade you participate in the selection process for your desired study place. The VPD is valid for one year.
  2. You apply online with the pre-examination documentation VPD of uni-assist for the future bachelor's or law studies at the University of Bremen.
    This is possible at any time. The application is valid only with the uploaded VPD!
  3. If your application is successful, you will receive a confirmation of application (German: Bewerberbestätigung BBZ).
  4. You apply for a student visa at the German Embassy.
  5. You sign up for an intensive language course at a private language school in Bremen (at least 20 hours / week, at least 3 months).
  6. You hand in your confirmation of application BBZ together with a confirmation about your registration at the language school at the Student Office.
  7. Enrol as a preparation student by paying the semester contribution.

Please note:

  • When selecting in uni-assist, only BA degree courses are listed, you cannot tick preparation studies. Choose your BA degree course - you are not committing yourself. After completing Prepstudies Language, you can of course change your intended subjects  when you apply for your undergraduate studies (BA).
  • At the end of the preparatory study, once you have successfully completed your C1 language course, you must enroll in the regular study program. To do this, you have to submit the certificate over the language level C1 within the deadline of 15.9. (winter semester) or 15.3. (summer semester).
  • The start of regular bachelor's degree programs and law (Staatsexamen) always takes place during the winter semester. Application deadline is July 15th (this is a "hard" deadline)! For the summer semester, only the bachelor program "vocational education" starts.
  • The University of Bremen does not offer German language intensive courses. You can, for example, visit German classes at one of the following institutions: Goethe InstitutDAA, CASA, Aristoteles, VHS, alerno.
  • A number of different language exams are accepted as proof of C1 German proficiency. Find out more about the language exams here. For further questions regarding the recognition of your language proficiency, please contact the Fremdsprachenzentrum directly. The e-mail address is: anerkennung.deuprotect me ?!uni-bremenprotect me ?!.de
  • We suggest that you apply for preparation studies at the beginning of a semester in order to make use of the full semester (you need to pay the full semester contribution regardless of when you apply).

Detailled information on the application procedure can be found under: Bewerbung aus dem Ausland - Nicht-EU.

Important Links

Uni-Assist: Request a Preliminary Review Documentation (VPD)

Anabin Databank: How will my degree transfer to the German system?

Find us on Facebook: Uni Bremen Prospective Students