Studying with Kleiner Matrikel

In exceptional cases, you can be admitted to university studies without a university entrance qualification but with a vocational education. However, to do this, you must make it credible that you will acquire the regular university entrance qualification within two years. While you are doing this, you can already be enrolled at the University of Bremen. In the Bremen Higher Education Act, this procedure is referred to “Studying with Minor Enrollment [Kleiner Matrikel]”.



Student Office
Do you have any questions? Our FAQ (in German) will help you.

VWG Building, Ground  floor

Personal and telephone office hours:
Mon, Thu 10 a.m. - 12 p.m.

►contact us

+49 (0)421 218-61110

What does “Studying with Kleiner Matrikel” mean?

Admission to study with Kleiner Matrikel is granted for one semester: The entire duration you can study with Kleiner Matrikel may not exceed four semesters. During this time, you must obtain a higher education entrance qualification (e.g. by attending courses offered by the Erwachsenenschule in Bremen or continuing education courses and further training leading to Master Craftsman or Tradesman) and at the same time study at the University of Bremen. You must, of course, be able to follow the courses. This is a prerequisite that has to be fulfilled at the end of each semester by corresponding verification from a professor.

Requirements for studying with a small matriculation

To be admitted to study with small matriculation, candidates must provide evidence of:

  • Completed vocational training and
  • at least 5 years of employment
  • Likelihood of obtaining the higher education entrance qualification in the next two years ( eg by attending the adult education center or continuing education courses and continuing education leading to Master Craftsman or Tradesman)

The following substitute periods can be credited to gainful employment: Military service, community service, a voluntary social / ecological year, managing a family with at least one person in need of upbringing. Periods of vocational training do not count towards the five-year period of gainful employment.

Application for admission to study with Kleiner Matrikel

Application deadline is July 15 of each year. An application is only possible for the winter semester.

Applications for admission to study with Kleiner Matrikel must be submitted to the Office for Student Affairs. Application forms are available from the beginning of May.

In the application it is essential to specify the desired subject or combination of subjects. Information on the courses offered by the University of Bremen is published on the Internet or in the brochure “Studying at the University of Bremen”  (in German). The brochure can be requested from the University of Bremen from the end of April. The above-mentioned prerequisites must be evidenced when applying. Certificates must be submitted as officially certified photocopies. You must attach your curriculum vitae in tabular form, containing details of your school education / vocational training and previous employment together with certified supporting documents.

Provided the required prerequisites have been met, enrollment for the first semester of the chosen course of study can take place (in the case of open –admission study program). This enrollment is limited to one semester. Admission cannot be guaranteed in the case of restricted admission subjects.

Enrollment on successfully completing studies with Kleiner Matrikel

The credits earned while studying with Kleiner Matrikel count towards your subsequent studies. Provided the other requirements for the course of studies have been fulfilled, you can be enrolled as a regular student. You must, however, evidence fulfillment of any specific additional requirements stipulated for your chosen program before enrollment can take place.