- As a general rule: During a leave semester, no study and examination services may be provided or examinations taken.
- First-semester students cannot apply for leave of absence. This restriction does not apply to leave of absence on the grounds of “parental leave”.
- The deadline for the submission of applications for leave of absence (including the necessary evidence) is August 15 for the winter semester and February 2 for the summer semester.
- For students with a special status (e.g. doctoral students, visiting students or students taking part in preparatory studies) there is no possibility of a leave of absence.
- Leave semesters count as university semesters, but not as study semesters.
- It is not possible to apply for a leave of absence retroactively.
- BAföG recipients and child benefit recipients must themselves inform their respective authorities about their leave of absence.
- Visitors requiring a visa obtain the necessary permission from the Immigration Office.
Leave for “miscellaneous reasons”:
In the course of your studies, you can apply for a maximum of two leave semesters for miscellaneous reasons. In exceptional cases, further leave semesters may be applied for, which have to be substantiated individually.
Leave owing to “illness“:
For leave of absence on grounds of illness, you must supply a medical certificate which confirms the incapacity to work, sit for examinations or attend courses during the semester in question. Leave of absence can be granted for max. the standard duration for the study program you are on.
Leave on grounds of “parental leave”:
For parental leave you must provide the following documents:
• The household certificate showing the household community with the child (available at all municipal registration offices)
• A copy of the maternity card indicating the expected delivery date or
• A copy of the child's birth certificate
In the case of leave of absence on grounds of parental leave, you may still make use of study services and sit for examinations.
Leave owing to “release from coursework”:
Students can apply for a leave of absence on the basis of being released from coursework (preparation for a final examination) by completing the questionnaire on the duty to pay fees laid down in the Bremen Studienkontengesetz (Study Accounts Act). For this, 80 per cent of the required CPs are to be proven with the attestation of earned credits (CP overview) issued by the respective examination office.
Leave is possible for max. one semester for students on programs with a standard study period of up to 6 semesters and max. two semesters for those with a standard study period of more than 6 semesters.
Students on leave of absence on grounds of release from coursework may still take advantage of study and examination services or sit for exams..
Applications for leave of absence are to be submitted to the University of Bremen / Office for Student Affairs by February 15th or August 15th latest.
On re-enrollment, the accordingly reduced semester contribution for the Studentenwerk, the administration fee and the semester ticket is to be transferred by February 2 or August 15.