Details Job vacancies
1 x 1,0 Lecturer with Tenure-Track to Senior Lecturer (f/m/d)
The University of Bremen is characterized by a high capacity for innovation. It thus offers for early-career researchers a multifaceted teaching and research environment with clearly defined career structures and opportunities, also in addition to full professorships. Information about the recently implemented career paths for university researchers and lecturers at the University of Bremen can be found at https://www.uni-bremen.de/en/university/academic-career/senior-researcher-senior-lecturer.html.
The University of Bremen is offering in the German Linguistics section of the Faculty of Linguistics and Literary Studies of (Faculty 10) – under the condition of job release – a full-time position as a
with Tenure-Track to Senior Lecturer (f/m/d)
Reference No. LK 213/19
for German Linguistics
(with a focus on variational linguistics, multilingualism or German as a Second/Foreign Language)
Initially, the appointment is limited to four years (14 TV-L on the German salary scale). A tenured position of Senior Researcher (15 TV-L) can be awarded in case of proof of the candidate’s outstanding track record and abilities after evaluation. The position can be used for further scientific qualification. The length of the employment is regulated according to "WissZeitVG" (German law regulating the length of employment for short-term/limited contracts). Therefore, only candidates can be taken into consideration for appointment who still have the respective qualification periods available in accordance with §2 (1) WissZeitVG.
The Faculty of Linguistics and Literature subscribes to a modern understanding of philology, which includes the transfer (in teaching and research) between the philological sub-disciplines and a strong focus on interdisciplinarity. We are looking for an early-career researcher from the field of German Linguistics who teaches courses in the foundation modules of German linguistics (including the core areas of syntax, phonology and morphology), and who carries out teaching and research in the fields of variational linguistics, didactics in multilingual contexts or second and foreign language acquisition. The tenure track phase is used as an expansion of the candidate’s qualification, in particular regarding the cross-section of German Linguistics (main subject area) and German as a Second/Foreign Language (additional subject area). The tenure-track phase offers certain latitude and chances regarding an individual development of skills going beyond the field of expertise.
Your tasks and responsibilities:
- independent, research-based instruction of courses in the Bachelor's and Master's degree programs of German Studies/German as well as in the inter-faculty teaching and learning area "Dealing with heterogeneity" (study area DaZ) with the stated areas of emphasis;
- development of disciplinary and interdisciplinary teaching concepts with reference to the main and additional subject areas (see above) in cooperation with the professors of German Linguistics / Interdisciplinary Linguistics and German as a Second/Foreign Language;
- collaboration in the future development of the teacher training program for German and development of innovative teaching formats for the subject area (using digital media);
- research (publication activity, organization of conferences / workshops and active participation in third-party funding) with the goal to extend one’s responsibilities within the subject area
- cooperation (in teaching and research) in interdisciplinary contexts (linguistics and didactics in the Faculty 10 (Language and Literary Studies).
- coordination of the teaching program in the sections of German linguistics and German as a Second/Foreign Language ;
- participation in academic self-government.
Your qualifications (recruitment requirements):
- above-average university degree (usually an MA or teacher training degree with German as major subject) in a German philology or in German as a second/foreign language including a certifiable focus on German linguistics or on German as a a second/foreign language
- recently-completed and above-average doctoral degree in German linguistics (in accordance with the German WissZeitVG §2 paragr. 1, duration of employment for academic qualification) with focus on variational linguistics, multilingualism or German as a second/foreign language (as shown by the topic of the doctoral dissertation)
- (first) teaching experience in the relevant thematic fields outlined above;
- very high communicative competence and language competence in German;
- English language skills (C1 level);
- skillful use of contemporary media and forms of presentation in teaching.
Further are desirable:
- connectivity to the research profile of Faculty 10 and the willingness to collaborate across disciplines, in particular in the context of the Collaborative Research Initiative Worlds of Contradiction (https://www.woc.uni-bremen.de/);
- basic knowledge in third language;
- experience in the design and implementation of new study programs or module development.
Research and research-based teaching are carried out independently within the framework of the Bremen Higher Education Act (§ 24). The teaching responsibilities are in accordance with the Bremen ordinance regarding teaching obligations (“Lehrverpflichtungs- und Lehrnachweisverordnung”); they are eight weekly hours per semester in the position as Lecturer, and twelve weekly hours as Senior Lecturer.
Questions regarding the call for tenders will be answered with pleasure by Mr. Prof. Dr. Althaus at talthausprotect me ?!uni-bremenprotect me ?!.de.
The University of Bremen is concerned to increase the number of women in the academy. It has won several awards from gender-equality programmes and has received official certification as a family-friendly university. Applications from female academics are emphatically encouraged. Applications from candidates with a migration background and also from candidates from other countries are very welcome. Severely handicapped applicants with essentially the same professional and personal suitability as other applicants will be given priority.
Please send your application with the usual documents (curriculum vitae, list of publications, list of courses and certificates in copy) by 9 September 2019 stating the above mentioned reference number
Frau S. Ohlmann
- Verwaltung -
Postfach 33 04 40
We ask you to submit only copies of your application documents (not folders), because we cannot return them for cost reasons.
Created on 10.07.19 by Alexandra Gutherz