Building/room: Linzer Straße 4 (LINZ4) 41290
Phone: +49 (0) 421 218 676 72
Member in the ZeMKI Lab: "Communication History and Media Change"; previously"Transcultural Communication and Memory Studies"
Communication and media studies, with a focus on media change; previously comparative cultural analysis
Rieke Böhling is a doctoral candidate at ZeMKI since July 2017. For her doctoral dissertation she conducts research on mediated memories of migration in families.
Between April 2016 and April 2020 she was employed as a research associate at the ZeMKI.
In 2012 she finished her BA in American Studies at the University of Groningen (the Netherlands). As part of her BA she spent a semester at the College of Charleston (USA). Subsequently, in 2014, she obtained a double degree from the Erasmus Mundus MA European Studies: Euroculture, at the University of Groningen and the University of Deusto (Spain). In her MA thesis she investigated representations of young Turkish Germans in three films from three distinct time periods. After completing her studies, she was employed as course coordinator in the consortium secretariat of the Erasmus Mundus MA European Studies: Euroculture at the University of Groningen until January 2016.
Memory studies, migration studies, qualitative methods
Managing editor for VIEW Journal of European Television History and Culture
Teaching assignment in the BA program Media Studies at the University of Groningen (February – July 2020)
- Böhling, Rieke/Lohmeier, Christine (2020): On “Storing Information” in Families: (Mediated) Family Memory at the Intersection of Individual and Collective Remembering. In: C. Große and R. Drechsler (eds.), Information Storage: Interdisciplinary Perspectives (pp. 161-177). Cham: Springer Nature Switzerland.
- Böhling, Rieke (2019): Book Review. Risk and Hyperconnectivity: Media and Memories of Neoliberalism. Memory Studies 12(2), April 2019: 234-236.
- Lohmeier, Christine/Böhling, Rieke (2018): Researching Communicative Figurations: Necessities and challenges for empirical research. In: A. Hepp, A. Breiter and U. Hasebrink (eds.), Communicative Figurations: Transforming Communication in Times of Deep Mediatization (pp. 343-362). Cham: Springer International Publishing.
- Lohmeier, Christine/Böhling, Rieke (2017): Communicating family memory: remembering in a changing media environment. Communications: The European Journal of Communication Research 42(3), September 2017, 277-292.
- Böhling, Rieke (2017): Identity Interventions: Investigating Questions of Identity, Language and Citizenship in Almanya – Willkommen in Deutschland. In: M. Loicq and I. Féroc Dumez (eds.), Conference proceedings. Jeunes, médias et diversités / Youth, Media and Diversities (pp. 82–97).
- Böhling, Rieke (2019): “It all started with grandpa, he changed our lives” – Remembering family migration histories among grandchildren of Turkish guest workers in Germany. Third Annual Memory Studies Association Conference, 25-28 June 2019, Madrid.
- Van der Waal, Margriet/Böhling, Rieke (2019): In their shoes? Categorizing identities and creating citizens in refugee reality TV. European Journal of Cultural Studies. Prepublished October 14, 2019; DOI: 10.1177/136754941986935.
- Sanko, Christina/Böhling, Rieke (2019): Kommunikative Erinnerungspraktiken und sozialer Zusammenhalt in Diasporagemeinschaften: Aneignung und Tradierung kollektiver Vergangenheit ehemaliger „Vertrags-” und „Gastarbeiter*innen” in Deutschland. 64. DGPuK Jahrestagung Integration durch Kommunikation in digitalisierten Öffentlichkeiten, 9-11 May 2019, Münster.
- Böhling, Rieke (2019): Vielfalt von Daten in der Konstruktion von Erinnerung = Vielfalt von Daten im Forschungsprozess? Überlegungen aus einer Studie zu (medien-)vermittelten Erinnerungen an Migrationsgeschichten in Familien. 2. Tagung des Netzwerks Qualitative Methoden Datenvielfalt: Potenziale und Herausforderungen, 24-26 April 2019, Salzburg.
- Böhling, Rieke (2018): Mediated migration memories: Memory and identity construction among grandchildren of guest workers. ECREA 2018, 7th European Communication Conference (ECC) Centres and Peripheries: Communication, Research, Translation, 31 October-3 November 2018, Lugano.
- Böhling, Rieke (2018): Memory work with mediated memories: remembering family migration histories among grandchildren of guest workers. Summer school Moving Image Memory Cultures, 24-28 September 2018, Potsdam.
- Böhling, Rieke (2018): Postmemory and migration: Remembering family histories among grandchildren of Turkish guest workers in Germany. Conference Remembering what we have not lived: Approaches to Postmemory Analysis, 3 July 2018, Canterbury.
- Böhling, Rieke (2018): Mediated Family Memory: Remembering Migration Experiences in Turkish-German Families. ICA preconference Inclusivity and Family Communication Research: Advances and Innovations from across the Discipline, 24 May 2018, Prague.
- Böhling, Rieke (2018): Mediated Memories of Migration: Remembering Migration Experiences among Grandchildren of "Guest Workers“. Workshop of the Memory and Media Research Network, 19 April 2018, Bremen.
- Böhling, Rieke/Lohmeier, Christine (2017): (Mediated) Memories of Migration: Memory Work and Identity Work, ECREA Diaspora, migration and the media section conference Migration and communication flows: rethinking borders, conflict and identity through the digital, 2-3 November 2017, Bilbao.
- Böhling, Rieke/van der Waal, Margriet (2017): In Their Shoes? Refugee Reality TV as a Technology of Citizenship. Conference Affects-Media-Power, 29 June-1 July 2017, Berlin.
- Böhling, Rieke (2017): Revisiting Migration Memories in the Context of Current Migratory Movements, BRESTOLON workshop Critical Theory: The Challenge of Digitized Media Worlds, 18-20 May 2017, Lisbon.
- Böhling, Rieke (2017): Revisiting Migration Memories in the Context of Current Migratory Movements, PGR conference Migration and Transcultural Memory in the 21st Century, 3 May 2017, Leeds.
- Böhling, Rieke/Lohmeier, Christine (2016): Family Memory in Times of Deep Mediatization. Conference Communicative Figurations, 8-9 December 2016, Bremen.
- Van der Waal, Margriet und Böhling, Rieke (2015): In their shoes? Refugee life-narratives and television entertainment. U4 Cluster Conference Governance of a Contemporary Multilateral Institutional Architecture. 4-6 November 2015, Groningen.
- Böhling, Rieke (2015): Identity Interventions: Investigating Questions of Identity, Language, and Citizenship in Turkish German film. International Conference Youth, Media and Diversities, 2-3 April 2015, Brussels.