Member in the ZeMKI Lab: Communication History an Media Change
Since 2019, Otávio Daros has been a doctoral student in Communication at the Pontifical Catholic University of Rio Grande do Sul (PUCRS), Brazil. He was a visiting guest on the “Bremen IDEA in” program at the University of Bremen, having been awarded a scholarship by the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD). The title of his Master’s thesis was “Douglas Kellner and Media Studies: A Critical Examination of the Ideas of a North American Theorist”, within the field of the history of communication and media studies. During his bachelor’s degree in journalism, he studied cyberactivism practices in online communities of pop music fans. Previously, he worked as a professional journalist on the news portal G1 and on RBS TV, a TV Globo affiliate station in the city of Porto Alegre.
His doctoral research, financed by the Coordination for the Improvement of Higher Education Personnel (CAPES), deals with the history of journalistic thinking and analyzes Brazilian journalism studies.
- Daros, O. (2021). A critical tribute to Ciro Marcondes’ New Communication Theory, Communication Theory. https://doi.org/10.1093/ct/qtab004
- Daros, O. (2021). French theoretical and methodological influences on Brazilian journalism research. Media, Culture & Society. https://doi.org/10.1177/0163443721999936
- Daros, O. (2020). Book review: The digital media age as the age of promiscuous knowledge. New Media & Society, 22(8), 1513–1515. https://doi.org/10.1177/1461444820939525
- Daros, O. (2020). Introduction to Argentine communicational thinking. MATRIZes, 14(3), 263-268. http://dx.doi.org/10.11606/issn.1982-8160.v14i3p263-268
- Rüdiger, F., & Daros, O. (2020) Critical analysis of José Marques de Melo’s journalistic thinking. Brazilian Journalism Research 16(2): 232–263. https://doi.org/10.25200/BJR.v16n2.2020.1272
- Daros, O. (2019). The transition from immanent to transcendent critique in Douglas Kellner’s cinema and television studies. Intercom, 42(2), 51-63. https://doi.org/10.1590/1809-5844201923
- Daros, O. (2019). Publizistik, the precursor of communication sciences? MATRIZes, 13(2), 253-259. https://doi.org/10.11606/issn.1982-8160.v13i2p253-259
- Daros, O. (2019). Book review: Karin Wahl-Jorgensen and Thomas Hanitzsch (eds): The handbook of journalism studies. Journalism, 20(11), 1567–1569. https://doi.org/10.1177/1464884919883779