Dr. Daria Dergacheva
Building/room: Linzer Straße 4 (LINZ4) 40240
Phone: +49 (0) 421 218 67627
Member in ZeMKI Lab "Platform Governance, Media, and Technology"
Dr. Daria Dergacheva has been a postdoctoral researcher atProf. Dr. Christian Katzenbach's lab "Platform Governance, Media, and Technology" at the Center for Media, Communication and Information Research (ZeMKI) at the University of Bremen since February 2022. Her work at the lab is currently contributing to the project “ReCreating Europe”, rethinking digital copyright law for a culturally diverse, accessible, creative Europe.
She defended her PhD dissertation at the Autonomous University of Barcelona (UAB) in July 2021, receiving an “excellent” grade. The title of her dissertation was “‘State Narrative’ construction on Twitter. A case study around news stories on LGBT issues in Russia”, with thesis co-directors Dr Anna Tous-Rovirosa (UAB) and Dr Elena Gapova (Western Michigan University). At the UAB, her research focused on studying the intersection of political communication and social networks using mixed computational and qualitative research methods.
She received a Chevening scholarship and graduated from the School of Media at the University of Westminster (UK) in 2013. She has another joint MA in Sociology from the University of Lancaster (UK) and Central European University (Poland). Outside of academia, she has worked in the Russian media and civil society for over 10 years. She was awarded an Open Society scholarship for teaching at the Urals State University.
Platform governance, political communication, social network analysis, digital media, democratic theory.
Association of Internet Researchers (AoIR)
International Association for Media and Communication Research (IAMCR)
- Dergacheva, D. & Tous-Rovirosa, A. (2021). Government’s echo. Twitter discussions around news topics in Russian networked authoritarianism. Russian Journal of Communication,13 (2),117-139. DOI: doi.org/10.1080/19409419.2021.1874790
- Dergacheva, D. (2021). Redeﬁning Modernization in Russia. Quaestio Rossica. Vol. 9, № 4. P. 1527–1532. DOI 10.15826/qr.2021.4.654
- Dergacheva, D. (2022): WAR IS WAR. Vkontakte users discuss the Russian invasion of Ukraine. Global Voices. URL: https://globalvoices.org/2022/04/04/war-is-war-vkontakte-users-discuss-the-russian-invasion-of-ukraine/ (22.04.2022)
- Tous-Rovirosa A. & Dergacheva D. (2021) #estevirusloparamosunidos: War-like political homogeneouscommunities in the Covid-19 crisis. Estudios sobre el mensaje periodístico. 27(4) 2021: 1227-1241 dx.doi.org/10.5209/esmp.75758
- Tous-Rovirosa A., Pratt M., & Dergacheva D. (2021). The Hockey Girls. The Creation of a New Collective Subject: Sisterhood and the Empowerment of Women. Feminist Media Studies. Status: Accepted for publication. https://doi.org/10.1080/14680777.2022.2029526
- Mustajoki, A., Zorikhina Nilsson, N., Guzman Tirado, R., Tous-Rovirosa, A., Dergacheva, D., Vepreva, I., & Itskovich, T. (2020). Covid-19: A Disaster in the Linguistic Dimension of Different Countries. Quaestio Rossica,8 (4), 1369–1390. doi.org/10.15826/qr.2020.4.533
- Dergacheva, D. (2020). Networked authoritarianism in Russia and its' position in public debates in the social media. In J. C. Correia & A. G. e. R. Morais (Eds.), Pathologies and dysfunctions of democracy in the media context. (Vol. 1, pp. 75-90). LabCom Books. Covilhã.Portugal.
- Lacalle, C., Gómez, B., Sánches, M., Narvaiza, S., Ferrer, R., & Dergacheva D. (2020). SPAIN:premiere fiction increases competitiveness. In (Ed. Luis Antônio Paim Gomes).
- Ibero-AmerIcanObservatory of Television Fiction. Melodrama in Times of Streaming.pp. 239 - 266. Globo Comunicaçãoe Participações S.A. Porto Alegre: Sulina.