Dr. Anna Jobin
Member in ZeMKI Lab "Platform Governance, Media, and Technology"
Anna Jobin is a Senior Researcher at the Alexander von Humboldt Institut für Internet und Gesellschaft and an advisory member at the ZeMKI affiliated with the Lab "Platform Governance, Media, and Technology". She has a multidisciplinary background in sociology, information management, and economics. Her doctoral research focused on the social dimensions of algorithmic systems. She was awarded a PhD by the University of Lausanne and has since conducted research on the social and ethical aspects of digitization, particularly in the areas of AI, citizen science, and online advertising.
Within the international research project "Shaping 21st Century AI – Conflicts and Development Pathways in Media, Politics and Research" she analyzes Artificial Intelligence as a sociotechnical institution in politics, media and science and participates in the consortium lead of the project. Previously, she was a postdoctoral researcher at ETH Zurich and a visiting researcher at Tufts University and Cornell University.
Dr. Jobin is president of the extra-parliamentary Federal Media Commission and part of the Swiss Young Academy. In addition, she is a board member of the Swiss Swiss Association for the Studies of Science, Technology & Society (STS), and a committee member of the Swiss Internet Governance Forum.
- A. Jobin, L. Guettel, L. Liebig, and C. Katzenbach, “AI Federalism: Shaping AI Policy within States in Germany,” Working Paper. arXiv:2111.04454, Oct. 2021.
- A. Jobin, “Ethische Künstliche Intelligenz – von Prinzipien zu Prozessen,” in Digitaler Wandel und Ethik, Rat für Forschung und Technologieentwicklung and M. Hengstschläger, Eds. Ecowin, 2020, pp. 144–159.
- A. Jobin, M. Ienca, and E. Vayena, “The global landscape of AI ethics guidelines,” Nat Mach Intell, pp. 389–399, Sep. 2019, doi: 10.1038/s42256-019-0088-2.
- A. Jobin, S. Prezioso, O. Glassey, F. Kaplan, and Kaplan, Frederic, “La mémoire kaléidoscopique: l’histoire au prisme des algorithmes d’autocomplétion,” Geschichte und Informatik / Histoire et informatique, no. 20, pp. 83–101, Aug. 2019, doi: 10.33057/chronos.1466.
- A. Jobin, “Diagnose: Ambivalenz. Freiheit im digitalen Zeitalter,” in Freiheit, M. L. Marti and J.-D. Strub, Eds. Baden: hier + jetzt, 2019, pp. 109–119.
- A. Jobin and M. Ziewitz, “Organic search: How metaphors help cultivate the web,” Alexander von Humboldt Institut für Internet und Gesellschaft (HIIG), Mar. 06, 2018. https://www.hiig.de/en/organic-search-metaphors-help-cultivate-web/.
- A. Jobin, “Von A(pfelkuchen) bis Z(ollkontrolle): Weshalb Algorithmen nicht neutral sind,” in Smartphone-Demokratie. #Fake News #Facebook #Bots #Populismus #Weibo #Civic Tech, A. Fichter, Ed. Zurich: NZZ Libro, 2017, pp. 154–170. doi: 10.5281/zenodo.1198590.
- A. Jobin and O. Glassey, “‘I Am Not A Web Search Result! I Am A Free Word.’ The Categorization and Commodification of ‘Switzerland’ by Google,” in Society of the Query Reader: Reflections on Web Search, M. Rasch and R. König, Eds. Amsterdam: Institute of Network Cultures, 2014.