Prof. Dr. Andreas Hepp
Building/room: Linzer Straße 4 (LINZ4) 40200
Phone: +49 (0) 421 218 676 20
Speaker of the ZeMKI, Head of the ZeMKI Lab: "Mediatization and Globalization"
Communication and Media Studies with a focus on Media Culture and Communication Theory
Andreas Hepp is Professor of Communication and Media Studies with a focus on Media Culture and Communication Theory at ZeMKI, Centre for Media, Communication and Information Sciences, of which he is the spokesman. From 2004 to 2005 Andreas Hepp was an Assistant Professor of Cultural Significance of Digital Media, and from 2005 to 2010 Professor of Communication Studies at the University of Bremen. Prior to his work at the University of Bremen, in 2003/4 he represented a professorship of Communication Studies with a focus on Media Sociology and Media Psychology at the Institute of Communication Studies at the Westfälische Wilhelms-Universität Muenster. From 1995 to 1997 he was a research assistant in the DFG project "Talking about television" at the University of Trier, 1999 research associate at the University of Karlsruhe (TH) in the Interdisciplinary Institute for Applied Cultural Studies (IAK), 1999 to 2003 leading research assistant at the Institute for Media and Communication Studies (IfMK) of the TU Ilmenau. In addition, Andreas Hepp has taught and researched as a guest of those universities, as well as at the Goldsmiths College of the University of London, the Nottingham Trent University and the University of Sunderland.
Media and Communication Theory, Media Sociology, Mediatization, Datafication, Automatization of Communication / communicative AI, Media Use and Appropriation.
- German Communication Association (DGPuK)
- European Communication Research and Education Association (ECREA)
- International Communication Association (ICA)
- Couldry, Nick / Hepp, Andreas (2017): The mediated construction of reality. Cambridge: Polity Press.
- Couldry, Nick / Hepp, Andreas (2013): Conceptualising mediatization: Contexts, traditions, arguments. In: Communication Theory, 23 (3), 191-202. onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/comt.12019
- Hasebrink, Uwe / Hepp, Andreas (2017): How to research cross-media practices? Investigating media repertoires and media ensembles. In: Convergence, 23(4), 362-377. journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/1354856517700384
- Hepp, Andreas (2009): Transculturality as a perspective: Researching media cultures comparatively. In: Qualitative Social Research (FQS), 10 (1) (http: / / www.qualitative-research.net / index.php / fqs / article / view / 1221).
- Hepp, Andreas (2013): Cultures of mediatization. Cambridge: Polity Press.
- Hepp, Andreas (2015): Transcultural communication. Malden: Wiley Blackwell.
- Hepp, Andreas (2016): Pioneer communities. In: Media, Culture & Society, 38 (6), 918-933. journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/0163443716664484
- Hepp, Andreas (2020): Deep mediatization. London: Routledge.
- Hepp, Andreas (2020). Artificial companions, social bots and work bots: Communicative robots as research objects of media and communication studies. Media, Culture & Society, 42(7-8), 1410-1426. journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/0163443720916412
- Hepp, Andreas / Berg, Matthias / Roitsch, Cindy (2016): Investigating communication networks contextually. Qualitative network analysis as cross-media research. In: MedieKultur, 32 (60), 87-106. doi.org/10.7146/mediekultur.v32i60.21614
For a complete list of publications see www.andreas-hepp.name.