Prof. Dr. Yannis Theocharis
Until 2020 Yannis Theocharis was Professor of Communication and Media with a focus on Innovative Methods at ZeMKI, Centre for Media, Communication and Information Sciences and head of the ZeMKI-Lab:"Computational Communication and Democracy". From 2011 to 2017 he was Alexander von Humboldt postdoctoral fellow (2011-2013) and Research Fellow (2013-2017) at the Mannheim Centre for European Social Research (MZES), where he co-directed the "Social Media Networks and the Relationships between Citizens and Politics" project. In 2016 he spent a year as Guest Lecturer at the Hertie School of Governance where he also teaches at the Executive Master of Public Administration as Guest Professor. Prior to joining the University of Bremen, he was Assistant Professor at the University of Groningen (2017-2018). Yannis’ work focuses on understanding the effects of digital media on political participation, collective action and democracy more broadly, using longitudinal and experimental approaches. His recent projects focus on measuring uncivil interactions between citizens and politicians on social media using digital trace data and computational methods. He is a member of New York University’s interdisciplinary Social Media and Political Participation Global (SMaPP Global) initiative and MZES External Fellow.
- Political communication
- Political behaviour
- Digital media
- Computational social science
- Social network analysis
- International Communication Association (ICA)
- American Political Science Association (APSA)
- Theocharis, Yannis & van Deth, Jan W. (2018) Political Participation in a Changing World: Conceptual and Empirical Challenges in the Study of Citizen Engagement. New York: Routledge.
- Theocharis, Yannis & van Deth, Jan W. (2018). The Continuous Expansion of Citizens’ Participation: A New Taxonomy. European Political Science Review, 10 (1): 139-163.
- Tucker, Joshua A., Theocharis, Yannis, Roberts, Margaret E. & Barberá, Pablo (2017). From Liberation to Turmoil: Social Media and Democracy. Journal of Democracy, 28 (4): 46-59.
- Theocharis, Yannis, Vitoratou, Silia & Sajuria, J. (2017) Civil Society in Times of Crisis: Understanding Collective Action Dynamics in Digitally-Enabled Volunteer Networks. Journal of Computer-Mediated Communication, 22 (5): 248-265.
- Jungherr, Andreas & Theocharis, Yannis (2017) The Empiricist's Challenge: Asking Meaningful Questions in Political Science in the Age of Big Data. Journal of Information Technology & Politics, 14 (2): 97-109.
- Theocharis, Yannis., Barbera, Pablo., Fazekas, Zoltan., Popa, Sebastian Adrian. & Parnet, Olivier. (2016) A Bad Workman Blames his Tweets: The Consequences of Citizens’ Uncivil Twitter Use when Interacting with Party Candidates. Journal of Communication, 66 (6): 1007-1031.
- Nulty, Paul, Theocharis, Yannis, Popa, Sebatian, Parnet, Olivier & Benoit, Kenneth (2016) Social Media and Political Communication in the 2014 Election to the European Parliament. Electoral Studies, 44: 429-444.
- Theocharis, Yannis & Lowe, Will (2016) Does Facebook Increase Political Participation? Evidence from a Field Experiment. Information, Communication & Society, 19(10): 1465-1486.
- Theocharis, Yannis & Quintelier, Ellen (2016) Stimulating Citizenship or Expanding Entertainment? The Effect of Facebook on Adolescent Participation. New Media & Society, 18 (5): 817-836.
- Theocharis, Yannis (2015) The Coneptualization of Digitally Networked Participation. Social Media + Society, 1 (2): 1-14.
For a complete list of publications can be seen here.