Zum Inhalt springen

Application and admission

Online application

Applications must be submitted online, prior to the closing date and together with all necessary admission requirements. Please check the application information below. Apply via the Online Application Portal of the University of Bremen.

Required documents for your application

  • Letter of motivation, explaining the interest for enrolment in the Master of Ecology programme
  • Detailed curriculum vitae
  • Certificate of English proficiency according to level C1 of the European reference scheme for language skills for non-native speakers
  • Certificate of BSc degree, including graduation scheme University transcripts, including a list of courses completed at the home university with the duration, final grades and graduation scheme


An admission committee with different members of the Master of Ecology will evaluate all applications.

If your application is successful, you will be sent

  • a confirmation of enrollment
  • together with a request to submit (either by surface mail or by hand) any further paper documents that may be necessary.

Copies of original certificates must be validated.

Certificates in other languages than German or English must be translated into German or English.

Original documents will not be accepted, please do not send any!


Follow the procedure described in your Letter of Acceptance from the University of Bremen and further instructions listed here.

What to prepare once you are accepted

While still at home you should prepare and obtain:

  • A passport valid for the entire period to be spent in Germany (otherwise you will have to go home in-between to renew it).
  • The notification of admission or confirmation of application from the German university.
  • Proof of financial resources.
  • Visa (not a tourist visa). Citizens of the EU and those of Norway, Switzerland and the USA do not require a visa. There are 3 types of visa: a language course visa which cannot be changed into a student visa; a student applicant visa for three months, which is valid if you have not yet received notification of admission to an institution of higher education and which, after admission, can be changed into the third type, a student visa valid for one year.

You will need the originals and certified translations of the following documents:

  • Birth certificate
  • Secondary school leaving certificate
  • Possibly your academic qualifications
  • Language diplomas
  • Possibly confirmation of health insurance cover (if it is recognised in Germany).
  • Book of vaccination certificates, if you have one. (Enquire at the German consulates if you need any vaccinations)
  • Possibly an international driving licence

Some useful things to take with you:

  • Medicines you need
  • Travellers' cheques
  • Some German cash for your arrival
  • photographs that can be used for IDs
  • A power plug and possibly a voltage converter for electric appliances. Electric power in Germany is 230V/50Hz.


  • FAQs [PDF] (127 KB)

More information

For questions concerning the programme contact: mscecol@uni-bremen.de

For questions concerning your application and documents contact the 'Secretariat for Students International (SfSI)': master@uni-bremen.de

Advice and counseling for enrolled and prospective international students: International Office