Data Steward Track
General information about Data Train Operator Tracks
Data stewardship describes the using, documenting, managing, preprocessing, and harmonizing of data in compliance with legal and ethical obligations.
In the Operator Track Data Steward essential competencies for the efficient handling of data in accordance with the “FAIR data principles” (which state that data should be findable, accessible, interoperable and reusable; see Wilkinson et al. 20161) are taught. FAIR data form the basis for sustainable and future-oriented research that exploits its potentials.
The track includes handson workshops- on programming languages, versioning, data management plans, reproducibility,data preparation, data provisioning, and database skills.
1 Wilkinson, M. D. et al. The FAIR Guiding Principles for scientific data management and stewardship. Sci. Data 3, 160018 (2016)
1. Workshops are allocated to tracks and follow a thematic structure. Doctoral researchers can complete the tracks in their entirety or just take part in individual courses ("course-picking principle).
2. Registration closes two weeks before the workshops take place, respectively.
3. Target group: The program is primarily offered to doctoral researchers from member institutions of the U Bremen Research Alliance. Therefore, doctoral researchers from member institutions of the U Bremen Research Alliance can register directly for the workshops within the registration period. After registration, you will receive a confirmation e-mail with information on participation. In case a course is fully booked, you will be automatically placed on the waiting list. The order of the waiting list determined by the time of registration. In case of cancellation by a registered participant, the place will go to the first person on the waiting list.
4. Other status groups or externals can take part in the workshops if free places are available after closing the registration. Therefore, please register for the waiting list (via the button provided for this purpose). You will be contacted two weeks before the workshop takes place in case we can offer you to participate in the workshop. Candidates on the waiting list will not be contacted again unless a place can be offered. The order of the waiting list is determined by the time of registration and your career status.
5. Attendance: If you are officially registered for a course, cancellation is required if you cannot attend the course. Please contact us immediately by e-mail (data-trainprotect me ?!vw.uni-bremenprotect me ?!.de) if you are unable to attend the workshop. Please do so in advance so that free spots can be offered to persons on the waiting list. If you do not attend a workshop without cancellation, we reserve the right to exclude you from future events.
We expect full attendance at the respective event. Only full participation in a workshop will be confirmed. If you cannot attend the entire workshop please contact us (data-trainprotect me ?!vw.uni-bremenprotect me ?!.de) in advance. Certificates of participation (in which the attended workshops will be listed) will be send to you after the entire Data Steward Track has been completed.
Please check the technical requirements and consider information given under "prior knowledge" before signing up for a workshop.
We confirm your attendance at (a) course(s) after a track was completed. All participated courses (of that track) are listed in the document.
Who receives a certificate?
- Starter Track: Docotoral researchers affiliated at the U Bremen Research Alliance
- Data Steward & Data Scientist Track: All regular participants (viewers excluded) who fully attended the workshop
Please indicate email addresses and names consistently during the registration processes of all workshops (i.e. in the online registration form and the zoom registration) to make sure that this is the same person. This is crucial for the certification procedure. Otherwise, attended courses might not be listed in your certificate.