1 x 1,0 Data and Ontology Manager (f/m/d)
PANGAEA (Data Publisher for Earth and Environmental Sciences www.pangaea.de ) is jointly operated by the Centre for Marine Environmental Sciences (MARUM) at the University of Bremen and the Alfred Wegener Institute Helmholtz Centre for Polar and Marine Research (AWI). PANGAEA enables the long-term archiving, publication and dissemination of scientific data and provides scientific data management for projects and scientific institutes.
To strengthen our team in Bremen, MARUM calls for applications for the following full-time position (under the condition of job release)
Data and Ontology Manager (f/m/d)
(Salary Scale 13 TV-L, 100%)
The position is limited until 31.12.2021 and linked to the BMBF project de.NBI (Deutsches Netzwerk für Bioinformatik Infrastruktur, www.denbi.de), which provides comprehensive first-class bioinformatics services to users in life sciences research, industry and medicine. In cooperation with four other databases PANGAEA is improving its curational capacities to mobilise and structure data for the provisioning of high-quality data products to the scientific community in the field of bioscience. The position is intended to further enhance data exchange and interoperability within the databases/data resource unit and beyond to improve the quality of service provided.
Your Tasks and Responsibilities:
- data curation and cross-linking of environmental and genetic data in cooperation with the project GFBio (German Federation for Biological Data)
- further development and integration of controlled vocabularies, terminologies and ontologies into PANGAEA
- supporting the development of ontologies harvested by PANGAEA by contributing terms and knowledge
- training and scientific guidance of the PANGAEA curatorial team for data import and consolidation of PANGAEA’s role as long term archive of environmental microbial data
- representing PANGAEA and participating in de.NBI and ELIXIR activities
- preferably a PhD degree otherwise a Master's degree with many years of relevant professional experience in Biology, Biochemistry, Ecology or Bioinformatics
- Experience in research data management and curation
- Experiences in working with scientific databases and standards
- Experiences in working with and development of ontologies
- Experience in presenting project results at national and international conferences, workshops and meetings
- Very good knowledge in English (writing and speaking), knowledge of additional languages is a plus
- Excellent team spirit and communication skills, an independent working style
The university aims to increase the proportion of women in science and therefore strongly encourages women to apply. Priority will be given to severely disabled applicants with essentially equal professional and personal aptitude. Applications from people with a migration background are welcome.
Applications should be submitted electronically as a single PDF file (maximum size 2 MB), quoting the reference number A102/20.
The review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Applications and enquiries should be addressed to:
Prof. Dr. Frank Oliver Glöckner
Leobener Str. 8
or by e-mail to: gloecknerprotect me ?!uni-bremenprotect me ?!.de (single PDF file, maximum size 2 MB)