The MAPEX Center for Materials and Processes invites international early stage researchers
(postdocs) to apply for short-term research grants to spend a limited period of time (two weeks
to two months) at the University of Bremen within the group of a MAPEX member. Incoming
candidates can receive travel and subsistence support for activities that clearly enhance their
scientific qualification and independent research (e.g. additional experiments, instrumental
training, interdisciplinary projects and cooperation, or networking in the respective scientific
community). For a successful application, a strong connection of the project to current topics
within the MAPEX research landscape is essential. It is the declared aim of this funding scheme
to establish and foster new international cooperation, beneficial to the MAPEX community.
Funding can not be granted for conference or lecture trips.
Proposals can be submitted at any time.
The grants are open for postdoctoral scientists from all countries outside of Germany. Any
MAPEX Principal Investigator or Early Career Investigator is eligible as the host.
Funding is available for activities lasting between two weeks (minimum) and two months
The grants include:
- a contribution to the travel costs for a return trip along the least expensive route and up to maximum rates set in accordance to the DAAD lump sums for research travels (“Reisekostenpauschalen [PDF] (101 KB)”);
- a flat-rate allowance for subsistence expenses of 300 € per week
- additional support for accompanying family members is possible, provided that they stay in Bremen for at least one month. The support include
- a contribution to the travel costs according to (1)
- a flat-rate allowance for subsistence expenses of 400 € per month for the first child and another 100 € per month for the 2nd and each additional child.
The sum of (1) and (2) will be limited to a maximum of 5000 € in all cases.
When resources are limited, partial funding is possible in all cases.
After their research stay, the candidates must provide a short written report (3 to 5 A4 pages)
to the MAPEX Center for Materials and Processes. Furthermore, they are asked to provide a
short paragraph and a picture for the MAPEX website.
Applications need to be submitted in electronic form (see below) to the MAPEX executive committee, represented by its Scientific Manager, Dr. Hanna Lührs, no later than one month before the envisaged start of the research stay.
A commission appointed by the MAPEX executive committee will decide whether to fund the proposal or not, depending on the scientific qualification of the candidate, the quality of the proposed project and availability of funding. It is expected that five proposals can be funded in 2016 and 2017.
The result of the proposal assessment and the amount of granted funds will be communicated to the applicant and the MAPEX hosting group within 10 days from the proposal receipt.
Please create a single PDF document comprising the following documents:
- Text of the proposal following the guideline and not exceeding four A4 pages. Describe how the research stay will foster your scientific independence and the expected benefit for your group, the group of your host institution, and the outreach to the MAPEX community.
- Curriculum Vitae (max. 2 pages)
- List of publications and conference contributions.
- Invitation from host, including a statement confirming that the facilities as well as the workspace needed to realize the proposed project will be available from the start and for the entire period of the envisaged stay.
- A signed declaration that
a. The candidate agrees to adhere to the standard rules of good scientific practice, as set for instance by the Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft.
b. In case of publication of results obtained during the research stay, funding through the MAPEX research grant will be explicitly acknowledged.
Only the applications which comply with the formal rules will be considered for funding.
Complete applications need to be submitted per email to:
Dr. Hanna Lührs, hanna.luehrs, www.mapex.uni-bremen.de @uni-bremen.de