The MAPEX Center for Materials and Processes invites Early Career Investigators and other
postdoctoral researchers in the groups of MAPEX members to apply for short-term research
grants to spend a limited period of time (two weeks to two months) at prestigious research
institutions abroad. Outgoing researchers can receive travel and subsistence support for
activities that clearly enhance their scientific qualification and independent research. For a
successful application, a strong connection of the project to current topics within the MAPEX
research landscape is essential. It is the declared aim of this funding scheme to establish and
foster new international cooperation, beneficial to the MAPEX community. Funding can not be
granted for conference or lecture trips.
Proposals can be submitted at any time.
The grants are open to MAPEX Early Career Investigators and postdoctoral researchers
affiliated to any group of MAPEX members. The host institution must be located outside of
Funding is available for activities lasting between two weeks (minimum) and two months
The grants include:
- Foreign allowance, country specific
- Cost of living allowance, country specific
- A contribution to the travel expenses according to DAAD Reisekostenpauschalen [PDF] (101 KB)
- Additional support for accompanying family members is possible, provided that they stay at the fellowship location for at least one month.
- The support includes
- a contribution to the travel costs according to (3)
- a flat-rate allowance for subsistence expenses of 400 € per month for the first child and another 100 € per month for the 2nd and each additional child.
For the items 1-2, please calculate the monthly amount of the possible funding using the award
calculator of the DFG and provide a table with estimated project costs, adapted to the duration
of your stay. No basic fellowship and no direct project costs can be funded and the sum of (1) to
(3) will be limited to a maximum of 6000 € in all cases.
DFG award calculator:http://www.dfg.de/en/research_funding/programmes/individual/research_fellowships/calculator/index.jsp
The reimbursement of travel expenses will be calculated according to the University’s
guidelines for travel (“Bremer Reisekostengesetz”) by the University’s travel expenses office.
Special regulations for accompanying family members apply, please contact Hanna Lührs for
When resources are limited, partial funding is possible in all cases.
After their research stay, the candidates must provide a short written report (3 to 5 A4 pages)
to the MAPEX Center for Materials and Processes. Furthermore, they are asked to provide a
short paragraph and a picture for the MAPEX website.
Applications need to be submitted in electronic form (see below) to the MAPEX executive committee, represented by its Scientific Manager, Dr. Hanna Lührs, no later than one month before the envisaged start of the research stay and no later the the proposal collection date.
A commission appointed by the MAPEX executive committee will decide whether to fund the
proposal or not, depending on the scientific qualification of the candidate, the quality of the
proposed project and availability of funding. If the number of eligible proposals exceeds the
available financial resources, funding is granted via a random selection process (by lot).
Precedence is given to candidates who have not yet benefitted from an outgoing MAPEX
Research Grant. It is expected that about five proposals can be funded in 2016 and 2017.
All timely submitted proposals fulfilling the formal requirements are considered for funding.
The result of the proposal assessment and the amount of granted funds will be communicated to the applicant within three weeks from the proposal collection date.
Please create a single PDF document comprising the following documents:
- Text of the proposal following the guideline and not exceeding four A4 pages. Describe how the research stay abroad will foster your scientific independence and the expected benefit for your group in Bremen, the group of your host institution, and the outreach to the MAPEX community.
- Curriculum Vitae (max. 2 pages)
- List of publications and conference contributions.
- Invitation from host, including a statement confirming that the facilities as well as the workspace needed to realize the proposed project will be available from the start and for the entire period of the envisaged stay.
- A signed declaration that
a. The candidate agrees to adhere to the standard rules of good scientific practice, as set for instance by the Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft.
b. In case of publication of results obtained during the research stay, funding through the MAPEX research grant will be explicitly acknowledged.
Only the applications which comply with the formal rules will be considered for funding.
Complete applications need to be submitted per email to:
Dr. Hanna Lührs, hanna.luehrs, www.mapex.uni-bremen.de @uni-bremen.de