Writing a dissertation takes years. This means you need to set up a routine and develop strategies for carving out space and quiet to work on your PhD project on a regular basis. To build a stable routine, you can either dedicate specific times of the day to spefic tasks, or certain situations to specific tasks. Some ideas:
- Mondays to Fridays between 9 and 11 in the morning I write.
- After the lunch break, I update my references and track new literature.
- Thursdays I meet my colleagues to discuss progress and problems regarding our research.
- Friday afternoons, before heading off for the weekend, I plan my goals and steps for the next week.
- I don't reply to my e-mails inbetween tasks, but instead reserve half an hour before lunch-break to work through them.
Stay on track!
Am besten werden Routinen gleich regelhaft in den Kalender eingetragen, um wichtige Phasen - wie die Schreibzeiten in der persönlichen Hochleistungsphase - vor Anfragen, die sich zu anderen Zeiten erledigen lassen, zu schützen.
Harnessing the power of rituals
Rituals are great ways to integrate the things you enjoy into your day. You can also intentionally use rituals to jump-start your next routine and to improve performance. A hot coffe in your hand goes along with opening the writing project document. Closing the e-mail inbox is rewarded with a short break with your favourite colleague.