Skip to main content

"Going out" with ERASMUS

Info meetings on studying abroad and ERASMUS

The Studienbüro regularly organizes info meetings for students intending to go abroad with ERASMUS. We have room for about 15-20 students at these meetings.
Students intending to go abroad on other programs are welcome to participate, especially with regard to recognition of CP awarded abroad.

You will get Information on studying abroad and ERASMUS

  • during normal office hours for Ute Meyer on TUESDAYS
  • or by individual arrangement with Dr. Meyer.

Please read the information contained on this page BEFOREHAND.

ERASMUS representative FB2

Dr. Ute Meyer

Studienbüro FB2
Room NW2 A 1030

erasmusfb2protect me ?!uni-bremenprotect me ?!.de
phone +49 (0) 421 218 62810

The European flag
The European flag

The basic idea

As an ERASMUS exchange student, you can study for part of your qualifications at a partner university. These qualifications will then be recognized back home and count as modules of your program of study.

Recognition should be done according to the Convention on the Recognition of Qualifications concerning Higher Education in the European Region, the so-called Lisbon Recognition Convention. This means that courses abroad do not have to cover precisely the same contents as courses at home. However, the qualifications should be comparable with regard to quality, learning level and learning outcomes.

In practice, the courses studied abroad should fit well in your study program and possibly cover the modules of a semester or study year so that you can easily continue your study program once you are back home. So the time you spend studying abroad and choice of the partner university are important criteria.

The right time for a study exchange depends on your planned study program and the courses offered at our partner universities.

Generally, we recommend the following exchange times:

  • Bachelor, 5th semester
  • Master of Science, 2nd study year
  • Master of Education, 1st or 3rd semester

Other options might be more suitable for you. You are welcome to discuss this with us.

ERASMUS-agreements include specific subject areas (like biology or chemistry). You can choose among those ERASMUS partner universities that have an agreement on biology and chemistry.

Before you choose, you need to investigate the location and course offers as well as the requirements.

Some partners offer English-taught study programs or English-taught courses especially for exchange students, while some open their whole course offers to choose. The way to choose courses also differs from partner to partner, and you will have to find your way through the information provided and maybe contact the ERASMUS coordinator or professors of the partner university.

Master students should also contact their Master coordinators here in Bremen to discuss possible locations and course choices.

If possible, find more than one partner university as capacities are limited and we will not send more students to a partner than the agreement allows (mostly just one per contract). We, the ERASMUS-coordinators, choose the students for our partner universities, so please introduce yourself and your plans to us before you formally apply.

Deadline for applications for the following study year (winter and/or summer semester) is the 15th February. You apply online via the platform "Mobily online" at our International Office. WE, as ERASMUS-Coordinators in FB2, decide on your application.

An application for ERASMUS at FB2 requires:

Discussion of your plans, possible choices and submitting an application to us (Master students also discuss their plans with their Master coordinator) before you formally apply.

Write your application in English language (this also holds, if you apply for a French-taught study program).

Your application must include

  • the application form
  • curriculum plus photo (a simple one is sufficient - we just want to be able to recognize you)
  • transcript of records or list of modules and if possible grades awarded in your current study program so far. As a first-year master student, however, you do not have any grades available at the time of the application
  • motivation letter (not more than 1.5 pages) - explaining why we should send you to your chosen partner
  • master students in our English-taught master's programs all have an English certificate on C1-level - we do not need to see this again. If you choose a study program other than English-taught or do not study on one of our international master's programs, please provide us with a language certificate.

Please always use your Bremen email-account for communication with us and also as email contact in your application. This will also be the email address which we will use for your nomination at the partner university.

Print out your complete application, sign the form and give it to us (Studienbüro FB2 or Postbox 45); do not use a fancy folder, just put the documents into a transparent envelope/wrap.

We reach our decisions as soon as possible, probably by mid March. Please read your emails during this time and reply to any questions we may have.


After your application has been processed, we will nominate you to the partner university. Usually, you will then be contacted by the partner for further formalities. Generally, it is your responsibility to find out about and meet the requirements for the registration and application procedure at the partner university.

If you need any signatures from us for your application documents, please come to our office and bring a copy of these documents for our files - or send a scan of these documents via email. In the latter case, do not forget to explain in your email what you want us to do.

In order to get your ERASMUS mobility grant from the International Office, you will also have to meet some requirements. You will be informed about your duties and "to dos" by the International Office during an obligatory information meeting (usually in May or June). You will find the date on the website of the International Office. If you cannot participate, please contact the International Office.

During your application procedure at the partner university and for the course choices, you will have to prepare a learning agreement with us, which lists the course choices at the partner university and the courses for recognition here in Bremen.

Thus, the learning agreement ensures that your qualifications from abroad will be recognized here. It is binding and should be completed and signed by both partners before you leave. It can be changed during your stay abroad and will then need to be signed again. You will find the form for the learning agreement on the website of the International Office.

Some partner universities send their form with the application forms - in this case use theirs.

Welcome back from your study exchange! We would like you to visit our office and share your experiences with us for a few minutes.

You also have to come to our office for recognition of your qualifications. Bring the transcript of records from the partner university. Some universities send their transcripts to our office. However, it is up to you to start the recognition process. You will find a form on this site (downloads) - please fill in personal data and (if available) courses from the transcript on the left-hand side. Send this pre-filled form to us via email before you come in for recognition.

We will recognize courses according to your learning agreement. You will have to upload the recognition as "proof of your recognition" on Mobility Online.

You will also have to write a report on your stay and upload it on Mobility Online.

Please keep in mind any further requirements by the International Office.