Application and admission
Master of Science in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology – A Two-Year-ProgramFile name: Flyer_BMB_FD.pdfLast update: 10.01.2024
Admission & Selection Process
- Bachelor (B.Sc.) degree qualifying for a profession in biochemistry, biology, chemistry or a closely related discipline such as biotechnology, pharmacy or medical studies, with achievements to at least 180 credit points.
- At least 60 credit points in one or several of the sciences of previous study such as: biochemistry, biotechnology, chemistry, cell biology, genetics, microbiology, mathematics, plant physiology or physics.
- Fluency in English according to level C1 of the CEFR (Common European Framework of Reference for Languages).
- Passing a written aptitude test under supervision on the basics of biochemistry and molecular cell biology. Prerequisite for the participation in the aptitude test is the fulfilment of the admission requirements according to §1 until the end of the application period.
- Letter of motivation explaining why you chose this program and what your research interests are.
AFTER applying - upon receipt of your online application - your uploaded documents will be used to check whether your higher education institution/university is accredited and whether your degree entitles you to enroll in the desired Master's program.
Please contact masterprotect me ?!uni-bremenprotect me ?!.de for further questions to your degree.
If you would like to inform yourself in advance, you can visit the following websites
Applicants whose native language is not English or whose last study was not completely taught in English language, are asked to submit a proof of proficiency in English according to level C1.
List of all the tests that are accepted as proof of C1 competence in English.
Please contact masterprotect me ?!uni-bremenprotect me ?!.de for further questions to English language certificates.
- Can you identify ATP and cholesterol by their chemical structure?
- Are you able to calculate the enzyme activity of a dehydrogenase from the alteration of absorbance?
- Do you know the chemical reaction that is catalyzed by pyruvate kinase?
- Do you know if and how low molecular weight compounds penetrate cell membranes?
- How many nitrogen atoms contains a molecule of cAMP?
- How many carboxyl groups contains malate?
- By which type of chemical bond is the phosphate group linked in glycerol-3-phosphate?
- Are you able to identify the types of covalent chemical bonds that link the components of NADPH?
- Which compound is generated by an enzymatic 2-electron oxidation of acetaldehyde?
- In which metabolic pathway is transketolase involved?
- Which essential organic cofactor/prosthetic group is essential for the activity of the enzyme glutamate decarboxylase?
- In which organelle/cellular compartment of a mammalian cell is hexokinase localized?
- To which class of enzymes belongs hexokinase?
- How many mols of CO2 are generated by the oxidation of 2 mols of acetyl-CoA in the citric acid cycle?
- How many milligrams of glucose (molecular mass: 180 Da) are required to prepare 200 mL of a 6 mM solution ?
- Do you know the mechanism of catalysis of chymotrypsin?
- What is the length of a typical bacterium?
- Do you know the principles of translation?
- Do you know the composition of the microbial cell wall?
- Particle sedimentation in a gravitation field is influenced by ?
- How are the following sugars crosslinked: starch, cellulose, sucrose, glycogen ?
- Which mobile electron carriers are involved in electron transfer from water to NAD+ in photosynthesis ?
- Into which cellular compartment proteins are transported in their native 3-D conformation?
- What is the driving force for the transport of sugar over plant plasma membranes?
Getting ready for Bremen
- passport valid for the entire period to be spent in Germany (otherwise you will have to go home in-between to renew it)
- notification of enrollment or admission letter from the University Bremen
- proof of financial resources (secure livelihood)
- visa (not a tourist visa)
- proof of health insurance (if your current health insurance is recognised in Germany!)
You will need the originals and certified translations of the following documents
(ask the German embassy for accepted translaters and certification of copies)
- birth certificate
- secondary school leaving certificate
- possibly your academic qualifications
- language diplomas
and if there is one
- a book of vaccination certificates (Enquire at the German consulates if you need any vaccinations)
- an international driving licence
- Medicines you need
- Some German cash for your arrival
- Recent biometric photographs (e.g. for residence permit or registration as a citizen of Bremen)
- A power plug and possibly a voltage converter for electric appliances (in Germany: 230V/50Hz)
Living & Campus
If enrollment or re-registration is withdrawn before the semester documents have been printed, the entire semester fee can be refunded.
In the case of a return of a study place, a refund can only be made if we have received all semester documents (incl. semester ticket).