Skip to main content

Advice and Legal Matters

Ms. Hoppe advises severely disabled employees on occupational, social, and health issues. She is also responsible for the workplace integration management (BEM). 

Represantive for Disabled Employees

Familienservicebüro Frontansicht

The Family Care Office (FSB) for students and university staff is the first point of contact for information and advice on all matters relating to the topic family.

The FSB also functions as a place for exchange and networking among parents. For this purpose, there are, for example, events, such as parent cafés and clothes-swap parties during the semester. 

Family Care Office

The staff council advises colleagues on individual concerns and represents the collective interests of employees in dealings with the university executive board. 

Staff Council

Among the areas of work of the women’s representative under the Bremen Act on Equal Treatment are issues relating to the reconciliation of career and family life. 

Women´s representative

The central women’s representative and her deputies represent the concerns and interests of women scientists in research and teaching as well as those of students at the University of Bremen. They advise and support the university management and the central bodies of the University of Bremen in implementing the equal treatment directive anchored in the Bremisches Hochschulgesetz (Higher Education Act of the State of Bremen – BremHG). 

Central women´s representative

The In-House Social Counseling Service offers psycho-social counselling and coaching for all university staff. In-House Social Counseling Service can deal with all questions or problems from the workplace or private life, factual questions, or health problems. 

In-house- Social Counseling Service

The University of Bremen wants to ensure that its employees are able to carry out their work in a healthy and successful way. In order to achieve this, the university’s executive board and the staff council have reached an agreement which details the workplace integration management (BEM) in accordance with Article 84 of SGB IX. It also links the BEM closely to the work of the university's representative for disabled employees as well as to the areas of occupational safety and health management.

After all, people who have to reconcile work and caring for relatives at home may themselves fall ill for longer periods of time." 


Within the Administrative Department 02, Martina Jaeger of Administrative Unit 21 is the contact person for all university staff on questions of employment law relating to the reconciliation of work and caring for relatives at home. 

Martina Jaeger
Phone: +49 (0)421 218-60414


At the Care Support Center (Pflegestützpunkt) of the State of Bremen, university employees are provided with up-to-date information and advice on all questions concerning care – free of charge. 

Care Support Center of the state of Bremen (in German only)


Family Care Office
Ines Gürlevik (Head of Family Care Office)
Tel.: + 49 (0) 421 218 60850
familienprotect me ?!uni-bremenprotect me ?!.de

Dipl.-Psych. Kassandra Ruhm
In-House Social Counseling Service
Tel.: +49 (0)421 218-60106
sozialberatungprotect me ?!uni-bremenprotect me ?!.de

Monica Wehaus
Women´s Representative
Tel.: + 49 (0) 421 218 60070
frauenbeauftragteprotect me ?!uni-bremenprotect me ?!.de


emergency folder for relatives

Legal Matters

information on healthcare proxies, advance care directives, patient rights, and inheritance law
Federal Ministry of Justice and Consumer Protection

information on care, nursing training programs, and dementia
Federal Ministry for Family Affairs, Senior Citizens, Women and Youth (BMFSFJ)

information and contacts for people in need of care and their carers
Bremen Senator for Social Affairs, Youth, Integration and Sport 

    general information and contacts for health-related topics
    Bremen Senator for Health, Women and Consumer Protection