The MAPEX Center for Materials and Processes via the MAPEX Core Facility for Materials Analytics (MAPEX-CF) invites Early Career Researchers from external research institutions to apply for short-term research grants to perform material characterizations at MAPEX-CF.
The work performed must be related to at least one of the following materials’ analytics areas of MAPEX-CF: 3D Materials Analytics, Electron Microscopy, Surface Analytics, Spectroscopy, or X-ray Diffraction. For a successful application, a strong connection of the project to current topics within the MAPEX and MAPEX-CF research landscape is essential. This funding scheme aims to establish and foster new interdisciplinary collaborations between groups from MAPEX and external research institutions. In particular, this grant intends to enable activities that add value to research projects, such as supplementary materials analysis that is not available at the home institution.
The grants are open to Early Career Researchers (master students close to graduation, doctoral researchers, and postdocs) from research institutions outside of Bremen. Preference will be given to projects which initiate new collaborations with (international) research groups and for research stays in groups who have not yet benefited from a MAPEX-CF grant.
The grants include travel and materials analysis support as specified below:
- A flat-rate allowance of 60 € per day, totalizing a maximum of 300 € per week or a maximum of 1000 € per month.
- Travel costs for a return trip along the least expensive route and up to the maximum rates set by the DAAD Reisekostenpauschalen 2022.
Materials analysis support:
- A contribution to materials analysis costs (instrument fees, sample shipping, data analysis costs) limited to a maximum amount of 2000 €.
Travel support is limited to a maximum amount of 2000 € in all cases. Additional support for family members limited to a maximum amount of 500 € is possible. The reimbursement of travel expenses will be calculated according to the University of Bremen guidelines for travel (“Bremer Reisekostengesetz”). Under specific circumstances and after proper justification elucidated in the proposal text, the maximum amount of funds for materials’ analysis can be increased. Proposals connected to projects with third-party funding that are already running cannot be funded. Proposals can be submitted at any time.
1. Applications must be submitted in electronic form to the MAPEX-CF Executive Committee, represented by the MAPEX-CF Instrument Manager, Dr. Semione, no later than one month before the envisaged start of the research stay or measurement time. Candidates are strongly encouraged to contact Dr. Semione before the application for details such as funding availability, the indication of potential scientific hosts as well as discussions regarding the project feasibility together with the application scientists and MAPEX Principal Investigators.
2. Evaluation: A committee appointed by the MAPEX-CF Executive Board will decide whether to fund the proposal or not, depending on the scientific qualification of the candidate, the quality of the proposed project, and availability of funding. The result of the proposal assessment and the granted amount will be communicated to the applicant usually within three weeks from the proposal receipt.
3. Report: After their research stay, the funded candidates must provide a written report (one to two A4 pages) to the MAPEX-CF. Furthermore, they must provide a short paragraph summarizing their experience and a picture for the MAPEX-CF website.
Please create a single PDF document comprising the following documents:
- Text of the proposal following the guidelines and not exceeding four A4 pages
- Curriculum Vitae (max. two pages) including a list of the most relevant publications and conference contributions
- A letter from the host (MAPEX member), including a statement confirming the feasibility of the experiments as well as that the facilities and the workspace needed to realize the proposed project will be available
- A letter of recommendation from your direct supervisor or group leader
- A signed declaration that
(a) The candidate agrees to adhere to the standard rules of good scientific practice set by the DFG
(b) In case of publications of results obtained during the research stay, funding through the MAPEX-CF research grant will be explicitly acknowledged
- For doctoral and master students: proof that you are actively pursuing a degree
Applicants who do not comply with the formal rules above will not be considered for funding.
A limitation on the number of funded proposals per MAPEX research group may take place to assure a fair distribution of the grants. Female and diverse applicants are strongly encouraged to apply.
Applications must be submitted per email to:
Dr. Guilherme Dalla Lana Semione
semioneprotect me ?!uni-bremenprotect me ?!.de