The MAPEX Center for Materials and Processes via the MAPEX Core Facility for Materials Analytics (MAPEX-CF) invites Early Career Researchers from MAPEX and the University of Bremen to apply for short-term research grants to perform material characterizations at MAPEX-CF.
The work performed must be related to at least one of the following materials’ analytics areas of MAPEX-CF: 3D Materials Analytics, Electron Microscopy, Surface Analytics, Spectroscopy, or X-ray Diffraction. For a successful application, a strong connection of the project to current topics within the MAPEX and MAPEX-CF research landscape is essential. This funding scheme aims to establish and foster new interdisciplinary collaborations between groups within MAPEX and the University of Bremen. In particular, this grant intends to enable preliminary experiments for future proposals to be submitted, for example to the Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft (DFG). Activities that clearly add value to doctoral or master’s research, such as supplementary materials analysis, are also considered for funding. In this case, it must be explained why these experiments were not already planned and budgeted before the start of the work and how the results could contribute to the increase of scientific knowledge and the qualification of the candidate.
The grants are open to Early Career Researchers (master students close to graduation, doctoral researchers, and postdocs) from MAPEX and/or University of Bremen research groups. Preference will be given to projects which initiate new collaborations between research groups and to members of groups who have not yet benefited from a MAPEX-CF grant.
The grants include support for materials analysis costs (instrument fees, consumables, equipment, sample shipping, data analysis costs, and student assistants’ funding) limited to a maximum amount of 2000 €.Under specific circumstances and after proper justification elucidated in the proposal text, the maximum amount of funds can be increased. Proposals connected to projects with third-party funding that are already running cannot be funded. Proposals can be submitted at any time.
1. Applications must be submitted in electronic form to the MAPEX-CF Executive Committee, represented by the MAPEX-CF Instrument Manager, Dr. Seemann, no later than one month before the envisaged start of the measurement time. Candidates are strongly encouraged to contact Dr. Seemann before the application for details such as funding availability, the indication of potential scientific hosts as well as discussions regarding the project feasibility together with the application scientists and MAPEX Principal Investigators.
2. Evaluation:A committee appointed by the MAPEX-CF Executive Board will decide whether to fund the proposal or not, depending on the scientific qualification of the candidate, the quality of the proposed project, and availability of funding. The result of the proposal assessment and the granted amount will be communicated to the applicant usually within three weeks from the proposal receipt.
3. Report: After their measurements, the funded candidates must provide a written report (one to two A4 pages) to the MAPEX-CF. Furthermore, they must provide a short paragraph summarizing their experience and a picture for the MAPEX-CF website.
Please create a single PDF document comprising the following documents:
- Text of the proposal following the guidelines and not exceeding four A4 pages
- Curriculum Vitae (max. two pages) including a list of the most relevant publications and/or conference contributions
- A letter from the host (MAPEX Principal Investigator), including a statement confirming the feasibility of the experiments as well as that the facilities and the workspace needed to realize the proposed project will be available
- A letter of recommendation from your direct supervisor or group leader
- A signed declaration that
(a) The candidate agrees to adhere to the standard rules of good scientific practice set by the DFG
(b) In case of publications of results obtained with measurements funded by this grant, funding through the MAPEX-CF research grant will be explicitly acknowledged
- For doctoral and master students: proof that you are actively pursuing a degree
Applicants who do not comply with the formal rules above will not be considered for funding.
A limitation on the number of funded proposals per MAPEX and/or University of Bremen research group may take place to assure a fair distribution of the grants. Female and diverse applicants are strongly encouraged to apply.
Applications must be submitted per email to:
Dr. Wilken Seemann
mapexcfprotect me ?!uni-bremenprotect me ?!.de