The work performed must be related to at least one of the following materials’ analytics areas of MAPEX-CF: 3D Materials Analytics, Electron Microscopy, Surface Analytics, Spectroscopy, or X-ray Diffraction. For a successful application, a strong connection of the project to current topics within the MAPEX and MAPEX-CF research landscape is essential. This funding scheme aims to establish and foster new interdisciplinary collaborations between groups from MAPEX and external research institutions. In particular, this grant intends to enable preliminary experiments for future proposals to be submitted, for example to the Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft (DFG). Activities that clearly add value to doctoral or master’s research, such as supplementary materials analysis not possible at the University in Bremen, are also considered for funding.
The grants are open to Early Career Researchers (master students close to graduation, doctoral researchers, and postdocs) from MAPEX research groups. Preference will be given to projects which initiate new collaborations between research groups and to members of groups who have not yet benefited from a MAPEX-CF grant.
The grants include travel and materials analysis support as specified below:
Support for international travel:
- Country-specific living allowance following the DAAD Aufenthaltspauschalen 2022.
- Travel costs for a return trip along the least expensive route and up to the maximum rates set by the DAAD Reisekostenpauschalen 2022.
Support for domestic travel:
- A flat-rate allowance of 60 € per day, totalizing a maximum of 300 € per week or a maximum of 1000 € per month.
- Travel costs for a return trip along the least expensive route.
Materials analysis support:
- A contribution to materials analysis costs (instrument fees, sample shipping, data analysis costs) limited to a maximum amount of 2000 €.
Travel support is limited to a maximum amount of 2000 € in all cases. Additional support for family members limited to a maximum amount of 500 € is possible. The reimbursement of travel expenses will be calculated according to the University of Bremen guidelines for travel (“Bremer Reisekostengesetz”). Special regulations for employees of non-university research institutes as well as for accompanying family members apply. Under specific circumstances and after proper justification elucidated in the proposal text, the maximum amount of funds for materials’ analysis can be increased. Proposals connected to projects with third-party funding that are already running cannot be funded. Proposals can be submitted at any time.
1. Applications must be submitted in electronic form to the MAPEX-CF Executive Committee, represented by the MAPEX-CF Instrument Manager, Dr. Semione, no later than one month before the envisaged start of the research stay or measurement time. Candidates are strongly encouraged to contact Dr. Semione before the application for details on the funding availability.
2. Evaluation: committee appointed by the MAPEX-CF Executive Board will decide whether to fund the proposal or not, depending on the scientific qualification of the candidate, the quality of the proposed project, and availability of funding. The result of the proposal assessment and the granted amount will be communicated to the applicant usually within three weeks from the proposal receipt.
3. Report: After their measurements or research stay, the funded candidates must provide a written report (one to two A4 pages) to the MAPEX-CF. Furthermore, they must provide a short paragraph summarizing their experience and a picture for the MAPEX-CF website.
Please create a single PDF document comprising the following documents:
- Text of the proposal following the guidelines and not exceeding four A4 pages
- Curriculum Vitae (max. two pages) including a list of the most relevant publications and conference contributions
- A letter from the host (scientist from an external institution), including a statement confirming the feasibility of the experiments as well as that the facilities and the workspace needed to realize the proposed project will be available
- A letter of recommendation from your direct supervisor or group leader (MAPEX member);
- A signed declaration that
(a) the candidate agrees to adhere to the standard rules of good scientific practice set by the DFG
(b) in case of publications of results obtained during the research stay or obtained with measurements funded by this grant, funding through the MAPEX-CF research grant will be explicitly acknowledged
- For doctoral candidates and master students: proof that you are actively pursuing a degree at the University of Bremen.
Applicants who do not comply with the formal rules above will not be considered for funding.
A limitation on the number of funded proposals per MAPEX research group may take place to assure a fair distribution of the grants. Female and diverse applicants are strongly encouraged to apply.
Applications must be submitted per email to:
Dr. Guilherme Dalla Lana Semione
semioneprotect me ?!uni-bremenprotect me ?!.de