Checklists and Tool Kit
Use checklists and tools to review and, if needed, adapt your materials for accessibility
With our checklists and tool kit, we want to support you in reviewing and creating accessible digital materials and content on your own. One of our services is having video recordings translated into German sign language.
The checklists contain step-by-step instructions and list criteria to provide a basis for the independent creation and reviewing of accessible materials for the documents and formats listed below:
- Word (Download Checklist Accessible Word Documents)
- PDF (Download Checklist Accessible PDF Documents)
- PowerPoint (Download Checklist Accessible PowerPoint Slides)
- Websites (Download Checklist Accessible Websites)
- Online Classes (Download Checklist Accessible Online Classes)
- Information Videos (Download Checklist Accessible Information Videos)
Download of all checklists:
Checklists for Accessible Digital ContentFile name: Checklists_for_Creating_and_Reviewing_Accessible_Digital_Content_ENG-US_ver1.pdfLast update: 26.07.2022
Offer for Automatic Subtitling of Class Recordings (Audio/Video)
Subtitles are necessary to make video material with spoken content accessible for people with hearing disabilities. Additionally, they can provide support in terms of comprehension for foreign speakers as well as all addressed persons, e.g in case of poor internet connection. BALLON offers you the possibility to add subtitles to your video material using the Amberscript software.
Amberscript is a software program that uses speech recognition to convert spoken language into written subtitles. Subtitles are available in 39 languages. Visit the Amberscript website for more information about automatic subtitling and about data protection.
The offer is available to university staff (e.g teaching and administrative staff) who want to make their video materials inclusive.
If you would like to take advantage of the software available, please follow these steps:
1. Write an email to ballonprotect me ?!uni-bremenprotect me ?!.de with information about the amount of video minutes that need to be captioned.
2. Note: You do not necessarily have to contact BALLON as an individual. It is possible for your organization/faculty to obtain a shared team account in which the time allotment for translation can be distributed to individual team members.
3. BALLON will send you an access link to an Amberscript (team) account with the time allowance for subtitles.
4. With this access, you/your team members can subtitle material independently with little effort. You will also receive a step-by-step guide to help you when using the software. Said guide is currently being created.
The BALLON team is happy to help you with any inquiries you may have.
Translation into German Sign Language
We currently still have capacities available for the translation of video material into German sign language. Either a German sign language translation can be added to existing material or a translation can already be considered during the planning stage of a video. If you are interested, please contact us at ballonprotect me ?!uni-bremenprotect me ?!.de and provide the following information:
- Number of videos
- Length of video(s)
- Video title
- Target group
- Deadline (when do you need the translation)
Here are some useful tools for the creation and revision of accessible materials:
- Word processing programs
Recommended: Microsoft Word
Alternatively: OpenOffice and LibreOffice
- PDF reader
Recommended: Adobe Acrobat Pro
- Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG 2.0)
International recommendations for making Web content more accessible, URL: https://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20/
- Contrast checker
Contrast Checker, URL: https://contrastchecker.com
Colour Contrast Analyser (CCA), URL: Color Contrast Checker - TPGi
- Screen reader
Recommended: NVDA, URL: https://www.nvaccess.org
Alternatively: JAWS, URL: https://www.freedomscientific.com
Built-in alternative: VoiceOver (Mac), Microsoft Narrator (Windows)
- PDF Accessibility Checker
PAC 3, URL: https://www.access-for-all.ch/ch/pdf-accessibility-checker-pac/download-pac-3.html
PAVE, URL: https://pave-pdf.org
- Web Accessibility Checker
Manual accessibility checker: BIK, URL: https://bik-fuer-alle.de/easy-checks.html
Automatic accessibility checker: WAVE, URL: https://wave.webaim.org
If you have questions or feedback about the checklists or tools, do not hesitate to contact the BALLON team. We look forward to working with you to make teaching accessible.