Starting Your Job
- Keep helpful resources around you. These could be internet bookmarks for translators, grammar help, or a phonetic alphabet. It can also be helpful to have one of your grammar books from one of your old language courses in your desk for easy reference.
- Prepare for any meetings you have in writing. This can help you remember important vocabulary or well as help keep you on topic if you’re feeling nervous.
- If you write many emails, use email templates. If there are certain topics you write many emails about, ask one of your colleagues if they can double-check your grammar on the template for you.
- If you’re speaking in a language which has a formal and informal “you”, make a list for yourself of which “you” you use with which colleagues.
- Know that misunderstandings will happen sometimes. Take a deep breath, accept them, and move on. It will get easier with time!