Information for external students and interns

We get many requests from all over the world. Since the German education system is not really trivial, on this page we try to summarise what you need to do or to know before you apply with us. Mostly importantly, you need to clarify your funding. There are several options available, please inform yourself before you contact us via projectsprotect me ?!comnets.uni-bremenprotect me ?!.de.

Bachelor and master students:

If you want to apply for an internship with us (2-6 months), you can do so  directly via projectsprotect me ?!comnets.uni-bremenprotect me ?!.de. Send your CV, grade transcript and your concrete research and work interests along. Clarify and mention also the source of funding you have and if do not have any, state so clearly. There are some grants available for top Bachelor and Master students from abroad. If you are studying in Germany, you need to organise your own funding or get in contact with us about student researcher opportunities. If you are from the EU, an Erasmus grant can be an option for you.

If you would like to write a thesis with us and you not from the University of Bremen, there are several options. Select first an open topic from this website (under Studies/Topics for projects) or identify your own concrete topic. If you from Germany, you can ask us for available student researcher jobs or finance your stay on your own. If you are from the EU, an Erasmus grant is good for you. If you are from outside of the EU, you can combine your thesis with with an internship, check the point above.

If you want simply to study in one of the Bremen’s study programme, please turn directly to the corresponding student offices. 


Prospective PhD students:

Structured PhD programmes in Bremen are rare and we (ComNets) currently do not have any. This means that you have to organise your funding first. You have several options. If you from outside of EU, we would like to encourage you to apply for a DAAD grant. Inform yourself and contact us with a concrete research idea, CV and grade transcript. If you have your own funding (family, own university, grant from your country, etc.), contact us directly by stating the financing situation clearly with CV, grade transcript and concrete research idea. In any case, you need a minimum grade of 2.0 or less German scale to be accepted to a PhD programme. Inform yourself how your grade converts to German scale.



Currently, we do not have funding for PostDoc researchers. However, there are a plenty of grants available - DAAD, DFG own project, Alexander von Humboldt, etc. Inform yourself and contact us with CV, publication list and a concrete research plan/idea.


If you have any further questions or would like to discuss your situation directly, you can also join the online office hours of Prof. Förster (check the main page).