The research in mathematics education in Faculty 3 of the University of Bremen is characterised by five areas:
· Epistemic processes in teaching and learning mathematics
· Researching practices in mathematics classrooms
· Mathematical reasoning in schools
· Teaching and learning of mathematics in higher education
· Mathematics from the perspective of learners and users
We study practices and processes of learning, teaching and using mathematics in various settings: in primary school, general, vocational, and academic secondary schools, university education, and at job; in school and extracurricular settings. We focus on digital media, heterogeneity of learners, and psychological influences as well as content specific factors and their importance for learning and teaching mathematics. Both basic research and applied research are included in our research activities. We work with quantitative as well as qualitative methods.