Before Arrival

To-Do List Before Arrival

1. Plan your health insurance

2. Apply for housing

3. Apply for a study visa (non-EU citizens)

4. Apply for the intensive German language course (optional)

5. Enroll at the University of Bremen ("moin") and pay the semester fee

6. Fill out your learning agreement / study plan

Health insurance

For the enrolment at the University of Bremen, exchange students are required to have a valid health insurance that is equivalent to the German statutory health insurance, i.e. unlimited coverage of all treatments (incl. dental, psychological and pregnancy care). The health insurance shall be valid for the whole duration of their stay.

  • EU-Nationals: The European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) is usually accepted. If you do not have a card yet, please apply for it as early as possible.
  • Turkish Nationals: TA11 forms issued by SSK (Sosyal Sigortalar Kurumu) are also accepted.
  • Non-EU Nationals: We recommend obtaining a German statutory health insurance. This will cost around 110 Euro per month (January 2023) and can be done at one of the health insurance companies on campus (e.g. AOK, TK, hkk). 

Foreign private travel health insurances for the purpose of visa applications are not accepted if they limit the cost coverage or the duration of validity. Students will have to buy the German statutory health insurance in addition to the foreign private health insurance.

Important: For the enrollment at the University of Bremen as a visiting student, the health insurance of the home country has to be checked by one of the German statutory health insurances. Exchange students have to send a scan of their EHIC or AT11 or private health insurance to one of the German statutory health insurances on the campus (TK, hkk or AOK) and apply for an electronic confirmation (ESMV).

The statutory health insurance for students will start at the first day of the semester (i.e. 1st of April or 1st of October). Therefore, in case of early arrival (e.g. for the orientration weeks) we recommend an additional private travel insurance for the time gap between departure from the home country and the first day of the semester (Winter 1.10./Summer 1.4.).

Students over 30 years of age need a private health insurance. More information is on the website of the "Deutsches Studierendenwerk".
Private insurances might charge extra for accompanying familiy members.

Read more about the health insurances in Germany on the website of the DAAD.



There is only a limited number of private rooms. Therefore, it is highly recommended to apply for accommodation in a student dorm on the campus or in the city as early as possible.

More information on dormitories or other accommodation on campus are listed on this website.
Offers have be accepted or rejected within a few days, otherwise the room will be given to somebody else.

Since Bremen has an excellent public transport system, the university can be reached in less than 30 minutes in most cases.
The rooms and small apartments vary in location, size, etc. Therefore, the monthly rent varies from 300 to 550 Euro. Electricity, water and heating are usually included. Landlords usually ask for an additional deposit.

Visa (Non-EU citizens)

Non-EU citizens might have to apply for an entry or study visa to enter and study in Germany.
Overview of visa requirements/exemptions for entry into the Federal Republic of Germany
Please note: Even if you may enter Germany without a visa you may not be allowed to stay longer than 90 days (see footnote 1 in the list). In that case you have to apply for a study visa as well before coming to Bremen. 
Contact the nearest German Consulate or German Embassy in your home country or the country where you study as early as possible. 
Invitation letters for visa applications are issued by the International Office for nominated exchange students after successful online registration (in "Mobility Online").

Erasmus students (Non-EU citizens) with a valid study visa for another EU-state have to get registered at the "Bundesamt für Migration und Flüchtlinge" ("BAMF" - Federal Office for Migration and Refugees). Please contact the International Office for more information about this procedure.


Learning German

International exchange students have the opportunity to attend an optional intensive German language course (levels A1-B2) during the orientation weeks. Interested students should indicate this on their online application in Mobility Online ("Are you interested in the Intensive German language course during the orientation weeks?").

The optional  intensive German course is organized by the Goethe Institut Bremen and the "Sprachenzentrum" (SZHB). For the three weeks course the students will receive 6 ECTS for successful participation. This course is available for international exchange students from partner universities only. Further information about registration and the online placement test will be sent out by email in January/February for the summer semester or July/August for the winter semester.

Students can also take German language courses during the semester and receive up to 6 ECTS.

For the first 4 "Semesterwochenstunden" (6 ECTS) exchange students are exempted from paying the course fee. Additional German language courses will be charged for.

Please find more information about German language courses during the semester here.

Tutorial Program

Students whose level of German is B2 or higher can attend the “Tutorial Program offered by the “Sprachenzentrum der Hochschulen Bremens (SZHB)” during the orientation weeks.
This program combines autonomous language learning and tutorial advisory service. Depending on your individual workload, you can earn ECTS credits for this course as well.

Enrollment at the University of Bremen as a Visiting Student (in "moin"), Semester Fee

After completing the online registration at the International Office (in "Mobility Online") all exchange students have to apply for visiting studies at the University of Bremen (in "moin"). The link to the online application portal for the official enrollment will be sent to all visiting exchange students via email.

For the enrollment all students, including international exchange students, are required to pay the semester fee. This is not a tuition fee! The amount covers the cost of the semester ticket (public transportation) as well as the contributions to the "Studierendenwerk Bremen" (Student Welfare Services) and the "AStA" (Student Union).

Further information regarding payment details are communicated in the admission letter which is available in "moin" after successful online application and submission of the required documentation.
Attention: only after paying the semester contribution and sending all requested documents to the Student Office will you be officially enrolled at the University of Bremen! Please mind the deadline for the payment stated in the admission letter.

After paying the semester contribution, sending the "Acceptance of a Study Place" and receiving the electronic confirmation of the health insurance, the semester documents will be printed by the Student Office and can be picked up during the orientation weeks at the Welcome Desk or be sent by post.

The documents include:

  • the semester ticket
  • the student ID
  • several certificates of enrollment
[Translate to English:] Studentin zeigt Semesterticket

Semester Ticket

After paying the semester fee and arriving in Bremen students will receive the semester ticket which enables them to use all public transportation in and around Bremen free of charge (valid area).

The semester ticket is only valid from October 1st for the winter semester or April 1st for the summer semester. During the orientation weeks (before the start of the semester), students will have to buy single, weekly or monthly tickets to use public transportation.

More information:
AStA (Student Union of the University of Bremen) information in German: Semesterticket

Learning Agreement / Study Plan

Assistance in selecting the courses and all questions concerning ECTS points and the learning agreement should be directed to the Erasmus coordinators in the appropriate department.
Erasmus students should contact their Departmental Erasmus Coordinator.
Students coming from our partner universities outside the European Union should contact their International Cooperation Coordinator.
The final course catalog will be available online in August/September for the winter semester and in February/March for the summer semester.