Change of University, Subject Change, Lateral Entry


Central Student Advisory Service

Advisory without appointment:
Mon, Tue 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.

Advisory with appointment:
Tue 2 to 4 p.m.: Zoom or face-to-face
Additional appointments

Visiting address:
VWG Building (Central Administration)

Brief information by phone:
Tue 3 to 5 p.m., Wed 1 to 3 p.m, Fri 12 to 2 p.m.

+49 (0)421 218-61160
zsbprotect me ?!uni-bremenprotect me ?!.de

I Would Like to Change My Subject or Degree Program and/or Transfer from Another University to the University of Bremen - what do I have to do?

The application for a change of university and subject is made via the MOIN application portal.

The MOIN portal is open for applications during the following period:

For undergraduate programs (bachelor's degree and first law degree):

  • For the summer semester: beginning of December until January 15. 
    For the summer semester, an application for the 1st subject semester is only possible for some of the degree programs and for a higher subject semester.
  • For the winter semester: beginning of May until July 15. 
    For the winter semester, application is possible for the first and higher semesters.

For master's programs:

Each master's degree program specifies whether an application for the first or higher subject semester is possible for the winter or summer semester (or both). In the master's portal, each master's program specifies whether an application is possible as a first-semester student for the winter or summer semester (or both). Upper-level students can usually apply for both the summer and winter semester. The deadlines for applying for the first or a higher semester are usually the same.

If you apply online via the MOIN portal of the University of Bremen, you will be asked at the beginning whether you would like to apply for the first or for a higher semester. The reason for this is that the application procedures for the first semester and for a higher semester differ significantly. Who has to apply and how is explained below.

The application procedure for higher semesters does not differentiate between subject semesters, i.e. it does not matter whether you apply for the second or the fifth subject semester, for example. It is also not necessary to have course credits recognized or to apply for a subject semester classification before applying for a higher semester. The procedure for the recognition of study achievements only takes place after the change of subject/or university(see below).

Change of Subject and University: Application for the First or for a Higher Semester?

In the following cases, an application must be made as a first-semester student to the first semester of study:

  • You have never studied before.
  • The subject or course of study is to be changed and there are not enough credits for an upper-level certificate.
  • You have completed a bachelor's degree and would like to apply for a master's degree.


In the following cases, an application for a higher semester must be made:

  •  After a change of university or location, you would like to continue your studies at the University of Bremen in the same field of study with the same degree.
  •  After a temporary interruption you would like to continue your studies at the University of Bremen in the same field of study with the same degree.
  • You have already studied and have credits to apply to your desired degree program (lateral entry, in German: Quereinstieg). In this case, the Student Office will check whether an application as an upper-level student must be made. Early application is strongly recommended.

Attention: Special regulation for change in the winter semester for multi-subject study programs:
If only one subject is changed for the winter semester in a bachelor's degree with several subjects and the other subject(s) is/are retained, the entire application must be made as a beginner for the first subject semester. Therefore, as soon as the application to a multi-subject program must be made for one subject as the first semester, the entire application has to be sent as an first semester application.
For new and discontinued degree programs, please note: Admission as an upper-level student is only possible if corresponding courses are offered; i.e. upper-level students can only be enrolled if the courses at their level are offered in the corresponding semester.

Please note the following: For the winter semester 2023/24, there are no places available for upper-level applicants for the following degree programs: 


  • Psychology (Psychologie)
  • Comparative and European Law (degree program has been closed)


  • International Relations: Global Governance and Social Theory
  • International Relations: Global Politics and Social Theory
  • Marine Microbiology
  • Psychology (Psychologie)
  • Inequalities: Past and Present (Ungleichheiten in Gegenwart und Geschichte)
For the winter semester 2023/24, there are only places available for certain semesters in the following degree programs:


  • Industrial Mathematics (Industriemathematik):  Admission of advanced students with a maximum of 2 semester of study (SoSe 23). Advanced students with at least 4 semesters enrol in the Bachelor's program Technomathematics (Technomathematik).
  • Mechanical and Process Engineering(Maschinenbau und Verfahrenstechnik): Admission of advanced students with a maximum of 2 semester (SoSe 23). Advanced students with at least 4 semesters enrol in the Bachelor's program Production Engineering - Mechanical and Process Engineering (Produktionstechnik - Maschinenbau und Verfahrenstechnik).


  • European Politics (Europapolitik) (admission of advanced students with a maximum of 2 semester (SoSe 23))
  • Industrial Mathematics and Data Analysis (admission of advanced students with a maximum of 2 semester (SoSe 23), advanced students with at least 3 semesters enrol in the Masters program Technomathetik.)
  • Management Information Systems (admission of advanced students with a maximum of 2 semester (SoSe 23))
  • Mathematics (admission of advanced students with a maximum of 2 semester (SoSe 23), advanced students with at least 3 semesters enrol in the Masters program Mathematik.)
  • Politics - Labor - Economics (M.Ed.) (Politik - Arbeit - Wirtschaft) (advanced students with at least 2 semesters (SoSe 23), advanced students with at least 4 semesters enrol in the M.Ed. program Politikwissenschaft.)

How Do I Prove That I Am an Upper-Level Student?

To be able to apply as an upper-level student,

  • you must be (have been) enrolled in the same subject with the same degree (= change of location)
    In this case, a certificate of enrolment is sufficient as advanced proof.
  • you can provide evidence of study achievements for the new subject to the following extent.

Undergraduate Study (Bachelor's and First Law Exam)
Bachelor's single major subject (in German: Vollfach), Bachelor's major subject (in German: Profilfach): 10 CP
Bachelor's minor subject (in German: Komplementärfach), teacher education subject for Secondary School (in German: Gymnasium/Oberschule),  teacher education subject for Primary Schools and Inclusive Education at Primary Schools (big subject) (in German: Grundschule/Inklusive Pädagogik, großes Fach): 6 CP

For degree programs with restricted admission this minimum number of CP must be demonstrated by the application deadline. In the case of degree programs with open admissions, the minimum CP must be proven by September 30 when applying as an upper-level student for the winter semester, and by March 31 when applying for the summer semester.

Master's degree program: usually 10 CP
Proof of CP must be submitted by the application deadline for admission-restricted master's programs, and by two weeks after the start of the semester for open-admission master's programs (usually the end of October for the winter semester and mid to late April for the summer semester).

Please note: Currently, all admission regulations are being adapted to the deadline for open-admission master's degree programs. Older admission regulations may also state a different deadline. However, for open-admission master's programs, the deadline for proving 10 CP in previous programs to achieve upper-level status is two weeks after the start of the semester.

How Many Applications May Upper-Level Students Submit?

Upper-level applicants can only submit one online application.

If you apply for a bachelor's degree with two subjects, you will only be considered an advanced candidate if you have creditable examination results in both subjects. If only one subject is retained and a new second subject is chosen, an application must be submitted as a first-semester student. As a first-semester student, multiple online applications may be submitted.

Only one application is possible for master's degree programs.


Is it Possible to Change the Subject for the Summer Semester?

In the summer semester, the University of Bremen only accepts first-year students for certain Bachelor's degree programmes with open admissions. If the change is to be made to a degree program that accepts beginners, a change is easily possible.

If the degree program is not offered to first-year students for the summer semester, an application as an advanced student is only possible if the applicant brings study achievements of at least one semester for the chosen subject (for the exact minimum number of CP, see above).

Students of the University of Bremen who wish to change their field of study or degree program are strongly advised to seek advice on their transfer options from the Central Student Advisory Service.

Rapid continuation of studies not guaranteed
A number of subjects offer one-year introductory modules that students cannot enter in the summer semester. Therefore, even if you are offered a place on the course in the summer semester, you are not necessarily guaranteed to be able to continue your studies quickly. Please inquire about this with the departmental advisor or the study center for your field of study.

When Will I Receive the Letter of Acceptance and What Documents Do I Have to Submit?

If you have applied online via MOIN, you will receive an e-mail approx. 4-6 weeks after the application deadline informing you whether you have been admitted to the desired subject/program. In this case, you can view and download the admission notice in the MOIN portal under your account.
The admission notice lists the documents required for enrollment. You must submit these documents to the Student Officeby mail.
If you receive a rejection notice, you will remain enrolled in your previous program, provided you have re-registered for your old program.

When Should I Withdraw from Studies?

It is not possible to be enrolled at several universities at the same time. Therefore, a degree withdrawal certificate from the previous university must be submitted when changing universities. Applicants for subjects with restricted admission should, however, wait with withdrawing from their previous degree program until they have been admitted by the University of Bremen.

Withdrawing from studies is not required for a change of program or subject within the University of Bremen. If you do not receive a letter of acceptance after an application to change to a restricted admission program, you will remain enrolled in the previous program if you have previously re-registered.

When are Academic Credits Recognized?

Only after successful matriculation at the University of Bremen an application for recognition of previous academic achievements can be submitted to the responsible Examination Office.

If you would like to obtain information on the recognition of academic achievements before transferring, you should contact the departmental advising service or the study center. On our course offerings page, you will find the departmental advising or study centers under the contact information for the respective field of study.

There are no fixed deadlines for the application for recognition at the Examination Office, but it is advisable to apply quickly in order to plan your further studies. Study achievements do not have an "expiry date", however, examination regulations change from time to time, so that the recognition regulations also change as a result.

Students transferring to teacher training programs should first contact the Study Center at the Center for Teacher Education - especially because of the required school internships.

What are the Chances of Success for the Change?

If the degree program at the University of Bremen has no restricted admission, changing is no problem.

If the degree program is admission-restricted, the application takes part in an admission procedure. As a rule, there are only a few study places available for restricted-admission subjects. These are given priority to students who want to change universities. In the case of restricted-admission subjects, a study place is only awarded via a lateral entry (in German: Quereinstieg) if there are still study places available after the admission of students who have changed universities. The chance of obtaining a study place in a restricted-admission subject with the help of a lateral entry (in German: Quereinstieg) is therefore usually very small!

At the University of Bremen, only the average grade of the university entrance qualification, usually Abitur, is taken into account as the an allocation criterion for study places for advanced students in degree programs with restricted admission. Waiting times do not play a role.

IMPORTANT: Program-specific requirements!
At the University of Bremen, many applicants have to prove that they meet the specific requirements of their degree programme (for example language certificates, music entrance examination, internships). You can find the prerequisites specific to your subject on our pages on the offered study programs under the respective subject information.

Unfortunately, it is not possible to exchange places from other universities at the University of Bremen.

Change of Subject or University after Final Failed Examination

After a final failed exam, changing the degree program or subject within the University of Bremen is often only possible to a limited extent. We have compiled detailed information on this topic in our information brochure "Endgültig durchgefallen - was tun? " (only in German).

Change of Subject and BAföG

If you receive BAföG, be sure to seek advice from the BAföG & Sozialberatung at the AStA or the BAföG office before changing your subject.