Skip to main content

Change of university, subject change, lateral entry

Anyone planning a change of university or subject has to take numerous things into account - and in most cases the whole thing has to take place during the current semester. A number of things need to be taken into account to ensure a smooth change. We have summarized for you on this page what you need to consider.


Content of this site:

Are you a lateral applicant, university or subject changer?
Who needs to apply as an advanced student?
How many credit points are required to apply as an advanced student?
How many applications may advanced applicants submit?
Can I change my major in the Bachelor's program for the summer semester?
When should I exmatriculate?
When are course credits recognized?
What are the chances of success for the change?
Change of subject or university after a final failed examination
Change of subject and BAföG



Central Student Advisory Service

Consultation Hours:
Mon 9-12: Phone
Tue 9-12: Zoom with appointment
Wed 14-16: Zoom without appointment
Thu 9-12: Phone

+49 (0) 421 218-61160
zsbprotect me ?!uni-bremenprotect me ?!.de

Are you a lateral entrance student, university transfer student or a subject changer?

University transfer students are students from other universities who are enrolled there in the same subject with the same degree for which they are applying at the University of Bremen. University transfer students cannot apply for the 1st semester, the number of semesters is continued. Admission as an advanced student is only possible according to the courses offered, which means that advanced students can only be enrolled if the Bachelor's degree course is offered in the corresponding semester.

Subject changers are students of the University of Bremen or other universities who wish to change a subject. A change of subject usually takes place in the 1st semester of the winter semester.

The lateral entry in the course of study refers to the change from one study to another, whereby a placement in a higher semester than the first semester is possible due to the already acquired study credits. Lateral entrants are therefore students at Bremen University or other universities who apply for a higher semester in a related subject. A prerequisite for application is a creditable study performance of at least 1 semester from their previous studies.

Who needs to apply as an advanced student?

Students who are enrolled in a degree program (same subject + same degree) in the semester must apply for this course of study as advanced students. If, however, a subject is changed in a Bachelor's programme with several subjects, the application is made as a beginner. If credits from another course of study can be credited, the Student Office will check whether an application as an advanced student is possible. In this case an early application is strongly recommended.

Advanced status will be checked by the Student Office during the application procedure. A possible recognition of previously completed course work is only possible after successful enrolment by the responsible Examination Office.

Only one application for an advanced student

Advanced applicants can only submit one application to continue their studies at the University of Bremen.

How many credit points are needed to apply as an advanced student?

The following benchmarks can be used for advanced status. For the new subject, study achievements should be available in the following scope:

Bachelor's "Vollfach", Bachelor's "Profilfach": 10 CP

Master's degree program: 10 CP

This minimum number of CP must be demonstrated by the application deadline for degree programs with restricted admission. In the case of degree programs with open admissions, the minimum CP must be proven by September 30 when applying as an advanced student for the winter semester, and by March 31 when applying for the summer semester.

How many applications may advanced students submit?

Advanced applicants can only submit one online application.

If you apply for a Bachelor's degree with two subjects, you will only be considered an advanced candidate if you have creditable examination results in both subjects. If only one subject is retained and a new second subject is chosen, an application must be submitted as a beginner:in. As a beginner:in, multiple online applications may be submitted.

Only one application is possible for Master's programs.


Is it possible to change the subject for the summer semester?

In the summer semester, the University of Bremen does not accept first-year students (exception: "Berufliche Bildung - Mechatronik), so that only advanced students can apply who have at least one semester's worth of credit for their chosen field of study (see above for the exact minimum number of CP).

Students of the University of Bremen who wish to change their field of study or degree program are strongly advised to seek advice on their transfer options from the Central Student Advisory Service.

Attention: A number of subjects offer one-year introductory modules that students cannot enter in the summer semester. Therefore, even if you are offered a place on the course in the summer semester, you are not necessarily guaranteed to be able to continue your studies quickly. Please inquire about this with the departmental advisor or the study center for your field of study.

When should I exmatriculate?

It is not possible to be enrolled at several universities at the same time. Therefore, a certificate of exmatriculation from the previous university must be submitted when changing universities. Applicants for subjects with restricted admission should, however, wait with the exmatriculation until they have obtained a study place at the University of Bremen.

Exmatriculation is not required for a change of program or subject within the University of Bremen. If you do not receive a notice of admission after applying for a change to a restricted-admission program, you will remain enrolled in the previous program if you have paid the semester fee.

When are academic credits recognized?

Only after successful matriculation at the University of Bremen an application for recognition of previous academic achievements can be submitted to the responsible Examination Office.

If you would like to obtain information on the recognition of academic achievements before transferring, you should contact the departmental advising service or the study center. On our course offerings page, you will find the departmental advising or study centers under the contact information for the respective field of study.

There are no fixed deadlines for the application for recognition at the Examination Office, but it is advisable to apply quickly in order to plan your further studies. Study achievements do not have an "expiry date", however, examination regulations change from time to time, so that the recognition regulations also change as a result.

Students transferring to teacher training programs should first contact the Study Center at the Center for Teacher Education - especially because of the required school internships.

Chances of success for change of university

If the course of study at the University of Bremen has no restricted admission, the change is no problem.

If the course has restricted admission, the application will have to be processed in the course of an admission procedure. As a rule, there are only a few places available for restricted admission subjects. These are awarded primarily to university transfer student. Applications for a study place via lateral entry in subjects with restricted admission will only be considered in the event that study places have remained vacant following the admission of university changeover students. The chance to get a place in a restricted subject via lateral entry is therefore usually very low!

At the University of Bremen, only the average grade of the higher education entrance qualification, usually Abitur, is taken into account as the award criterion. Waiting times do not play a role.

IMPORTANT: Program-specific requirements!
At the University of Bremen many program-specific requirements must be evidenced with the application (for example, language certificates, music entrance examination, internships). You will find the requirements specific to your field of study in the Studies Database.

Change of subject or university after final failed examination

After a final failed exam, a change of study program or subject within the University of Bremen is often only possible to a limited extent. Advice and information on your further study options after a final fail is offered by the Central Student Advisory Service.

Change of subject and BAföG

If you receive BAföG, be sure to seek advice from the BAföG & Sozialberatung at the AStA or the BAföG office before changing your subject.