Placement tests - English
Which course is right for me?
Before you register for a course, please take the English placement test. The result of this placement test should correspond to the entry level of the course you want to take.
If you have any questions about the result of your placement test and/or which course is right for you, please send an email to englischszhb(at)uni-bremen.de or visit us at the English advice desk.
- Before you register for an English course, you must take the placement test, or C-test, once.
- Start by reading the instructions, watch the explanatory video (available in German only unfortunately) and do the practice test if you think this would be helpful. The practice test does not give you a valid result, its aim is to make you familiar with the test format.
- After you have done the correct placement test, make a written note of the result that appears at the end of your test or take a screenshot of your result.
Information about the C-test
The C-test comprises 4 different individual texts each with approx. 25 gaps which you have to complete. The first and last sentences are already complete.
In the remaining text, roughly half of every second word is missing, i.e. half of the letters are missing when a word has an even number of letters and one further letter is missing when the word has an odd number of letters.
- If there are 2 letters in front of the gap, 2 or 3 letters are missing:
go____ -> goal OR goals
- If there are 3 letters in front of the gap, 3 or 4 letters are missing: :
tea______ -> teacher (beware: "teachers" would be incorrect - 3+5; if the correct answer was 'teachers', the clue would have to be teac_____ )
- Apostrophes (') and hyphens (-) each count as one letter
You have a maximum of 25 minutes to complete the test.
You may also take the DIALANG test. DIALANG is an online diagnostic test which measures language competence in English and 13 other languages. It enables you to test 5 partial skills separately (listening, reading, writing, grammar and vocabulary). Each skill takes approx. 20 - 30 minutes and at the end you obtain a placement based on the CEFRand tips on how to improve your language skills.
DIALANG is particularly recommended for setting long-term goals, for example when preparing to take a language test or gaining a certificate of competence for university entrance.
You should allow approx. 2 hours for the complete test.