Preparatory Studies

Prepare for Undergraduate Degrees


For SOLO you join language classes self organized to prepare for the German C1 language exam.

for more information see below


In the preparatory study PALS you will be part of a mentoring program (free of charge) to prepare you for your studies. In PALS you will have more to do than in SOLO, but you will be better prepared for the following studies.

for more information see below


:prime is the Bremen program if you have to take part in an entrance exam "Studienkolleg" before joining a university. With the :prime exam you can apply to the public universities in the Federal State of Bremen.
More Information

HERE studies

:here studies is a program for refugees to prepare for studies in Bremen and Bremerhaven.
More information

Students sitting in the auditorium during a lecture

Preparatory Studies at the University of Bremen

  • Preparatory studies are for prospective international students of our undergraduate programs (Bachelor) who have a entrance qualification for universities in Germany and need to prepare for the German language exam.
  • Duration: max. 4 semesters
  • Aim: Pass German C1 exam and join the regular studies
  • The enrollment as a preparatory student allows you to stay in Germany with a student´s residence permit

Contact & Counselling

How to Apply for SOLO & PALS

Step 1: Uni-Assist

  • All applicants need the "preliminary review documentation" (Vorprüfungsdokumentation - VPD) from uni-assist.
  • The VPD contains the information about if and what you can study in Germany and also your final grade converted to the German system.
  • The VPD is valid for one year.
  • Note: Uni-Assist takes at least 4-6 weeks to process your VPD. Please plan accordingly.
  • At Uni-Assist you have to select your future Bachelor program. Preparatory studies programs are not listed.
  • After you have successfully finished the preparatory studies you can apply for other Bachelor programs at Uni-Bremen. (If your interest changed and the VPD covers that.)
  • Without VPD you cannot apply at Uni-Bremen for preparatory studies.

You need to upload following documents to Uni-Assist when applying for your VPD:

  • University entrance qualification (graduation certificate from secondary school)
  • University entrance exam (if this applies)
  • Transcript of studies (if you have already studied at a university)
  • Translations of all documents (German or English)

    Step 2 - Apply for preparatory studies at the University of Bremen

    • After you have received the VPD you can apply via MOIN and select "Vorbereitungsstudium/Preparatory studies". The application guide can help you with this.
    • Again you have to select your future Bachelor's study program although you're not completing coursework in this program during your preparatory studies.
    • If you want to join PALS: now is the time to fill in the form of the Academy HERE AHEAD.
    • The application via MOIN is free of charge.
    • There is no deadline for application.
    • After submitting the application you will receive a "Confirmation of Application" (Bewerberbestätigung). With this you can apply for a student visa.
    • For enrollment you need to hand in a proof that you are registered for a German language course (min. 20h per week)
    • Send the registration for an intensive German course to the Student Office.
    • You will receive a Confirmation of Application and the request to pay the semester fee. You also have to sign that you wish to enroll.
    • Translations: Documents that are not issued in German or English must be translated for enrolment by a sworn translator for courts and notaries in Germany and submitted in addition to the documents in the national language. Only translations into German can be accepted.
    • Enrollment is possible until December 31 (winter semester) and June 30 (summer semester).

      After Preparatory Studies

      • Preparatory studies end after you reached German C1 or the end of semester 4.
      • With your C1 certificate you can apply for regular studies via MOIN-Portal
      • Deadlines for Bachelor (and State Law Exam):
        Winter semester July 15,
        Summer semester January 15
        Note: Not all programs are open for beginners in summer semester.
      • You should apply before these dates even if you won't receive your C1 until shortly after the deadline. You can hand it in until September 15 (winter semester) or March 15 (summer semester).
      • Some programs have specific requirements like English language proficiency or preparatory internships. Please inform yourself in time!  ► Information SSV