Research Assistant (f/m/d), „Science Manager“
Faculty 1 Physics/Electrical Engineering
Classifications E 14 - full-time
Reference number: A223/23
Closing date: 02/27/2024
The University of Bremen has a vacancy in the Department of Communications Engineering (headed by Prof. Dr.-Ing. Armin Dekorsy) at the Institute of Telecommunications and High-Frequency Techniques of Faculty 1 - Physics/Electrical Engineering - for a
Research Assistant (f/m/d)
pay group 14 TV-L (according to the evaluation of the tasks)
with the focus “Science Manager” for an indefinite period and with the full regular weekly working hours.
The Department of Communications Engineering has many years of expertise in the research of communication systems, communications engineering concepts and signal processing methods. The research spectrum includes topics of basic research, application-oriented, cooperative research with industrial partners and the prototypical implementation of communications technology processes in laboratories and experimental fields. In addition to scientific-technical research, the Department of Communications Engineering has also been conducting strategic-coordinative research activities for several years, particularly in the areas of “5G for industry”, satellite communication and, in the future, 6G especially to implement the German 6G strategy. The department is a member of the Gauss-Olbers Space-Technology Transfer-Center (GOC) at the University of Bremen and contributes its expertise to the research and development of communication technologies as well as the transfer of related research and development results to industry, society and politics. The position on offer is primarily based in the Communications Engineering department, but also includes networking with the GOC to further develop research directions in the field of space.
Field of activity
The position combines strategic coordinative research activities with scientific-technical work in an (inter-)national environment and thus enables the research of communication technologies to be actively shaped both strategically and in terms of content. The area of responsibility also includes participation in the teaching program of the Department of Communications Technology.
Examples of key tasks are:
- Participation in the prioritization of research directions of the department, contribution of own future research topics.
- Leading activities in cooperative research projects, e.g., coordinating technological solutions from and with (inter-)national stakeholders.
- Responsibility for the acquisition of new research projects, coordination of applications and preparation of supporting material
- Establishment and management of a group at the Department of Communications Engineering for strategic-coordinative research
- You are the contact person for external partners and interest groups and responsible for developing (inter-)national relations, expanding cooperation between science and industry (regional and superregional) and networking for science, industry, political bodies and organs of society
- You contribute significantly to the transfer of research and development results of the research area to the economy, society and politics, e.g., through strategic coordination and scientific consultations with political-economic bodies and organs of society
- Participation in (inter-)national committees such as committees of the IEEE or VDE-ITG and in committees of the University of Bremen
- Coordinating and monitoring the finances and personnel bookings of the work area; this includes consultation with the Finance and Personnel Department of the University of Bremen
- Responsible for the production of promotional material and other information, regular updates of the website and social media channels, and topic- or project-specific reports for stakeholders
- Organization of scientific conferences hosted by the Department of Communications Engineering or the GOC, as well as organization, coordination and participation in site visits
- Participation in teaching, e.g., through involvement in the lecture program, organization of tutorials and supervision of student projects.
- A very good university degree (Master’s/Diploma) and a doctorate in electrical engineering, information technology, computer engineering or related engineering or natural sciences.
- Very good knowledge of message transmission and communication systems
- Strong interest in independent strategic-coordinative research activities
- Extensive experience in project acquisition and participation in (inter-)national research projects
- Ability to work and acquire knowledge and skills independently
- Very good communication and teamwork skills
- Knowledge of German and English, both written and spoken (at least level C1 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR))
- Desirable knowledge and skills:
- Publication experience (journals, conference proceedings).
- Initial experience in supervising students and doctoral candidates
The University is family-friendly, diverse and sees itself as an international university. We therefore welcome all applicants regardless of gender, nationality, ethnic and social origin, religion/belief, disability, age, sexual orientation and identity.
The University of Bremen aims to increase the proportion of women in the academic field and therefore strongly encourages women to apply. Severely disabled applicants with essentially the same professional and personal qualifications are given priority.
Please send your application, quoting the reference number A223/23, by February 27th, 2024 to
University of Bremen
FB 01 - Physics/Electrical Engineering - ITH -
Prof. Dr.-Ing. Armin Dekorsy
PO Box 330 440
or in electronic form to Prof. Dr.-Ing. Armin Dekorsy:
applicationsprotect me ?!ant.uni-bremenprotect me ?!.de.
Your application should include:
- A cover letter summarizing your qualifications for the position and outlining your key achievements and research interests.
- Complete curriculum vitae
- Transcripts (diploma, M. Sc. or doctorate)
- List of possible publications
- If possible, at least two names of recommenders
Only copies of documents will be accepted, original documents will not be returned.