Explore Europe while studying
In 2014 the EU launched a new program for Education, Youth and Sports called Erasmus+. It is running for the years 2014-2020. The University of Bremen has been awarded with the Erasmus University Charta for the whole duration of the program in accordance with the European Policy Statement.
The Erasmus University Charta is valid until 2020 and allows the University to participate in all Erasmus+ activities concerning higher education.
Under the Erasmus+ program, students of the University of Bremen can spend between 3 and 12 months on each study level (bachelor, master, PhD) studying their subject at one of our EU partner universities. This means that if you have already spent 12 Erasmus months abroad during your bachelor studies you get new "credit" of 12 Erasmus months for your master studies and also for your PhD studies.
The following countries are participating in the Erasmus+ program: all 27 EU member states and Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Turkey. There are no exchange activities with Switzerland under the Erasmus+ program at the moment. The exchange is currently financed completely by our Swiss partner institutions.
Prerequisite is the existence of an inter-institutional Erasmus agreement between the faculty you are enrolled in and the partner university.
Here is a list of Erasmus+ agreements sorted according to faculty/study field and partner country.
- no tuition fee has to be paid to the hosting university
- intensive counseling, both at the home university as well as at your host university
- language preparation
- recognition of credits awarded abroad
- mobility grant according to country category: minimum 250 Euro per month for category I (Denmark, Ireland, France, Italy, Austria, Finland, Sweden, UK, Liechtenstein, Norway), minimum 200 Euro per month for category II (Belgium, Czech Republic, Greece, Spain, Croatia, Cyprus, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Portugal, Slovenia, Iceland, Turkey) and minimum 150 Euro per month for category III (Bulgaria, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Hungary, Malta, Poland, Romania, Slovakia)
- Enrollment at the University of Bremen
- students must have completed at least one full year of studies before the start of their stay abroad
- good knowledge in the language of instruction (B2, according to the European framework of languages) at the host university
- at least basic knowledge of the language spoken in the host country
In contrast to the former Erasmus program, multiple Erasmus study periods up to 12 months per study level (Bachelor, Master, PhD) are possible. Erasmus study and Erasmus internship periods can be combined within one study level. Minimum stay for Erasmus internships is 2 months.
Applications have to be submitted online. Additionally, a set of signed documents must be passed on to the Departmental Erasmus Coordinator for your study field/faculty. The Departmental Erasmus Coordinators decide on the allocation of the Erasmus study places. They will also provide you with information on the recognition of study credits obtained abroad and other formal as well as language requirements.
Deadline for applications is 15th of February for the whole of the following academic year.
This deadline does not apply for Erasmus internships! Applications for Erasmus internship grants can be submitted throughout the year.
Before filling the Erasmus online application form please read the "Information about the Erasmus+ application procedure 2018/19" and the "Instructions for the online application".
Important information for students who already participated in the former Erasmus program: The Erasmus+ program allows multiple Erasmus study or training periods (up to maximum 12 months in total) during each study level (BA, MA, PhD).